How to add tone to 6.4 exhaust?

Cantbuytime

Reaction score
Ok, I have been told by alot of people and performance places the only way to get rid of some of the hair dryer tone is a 4" down pipe and 5" exhaust on my 08 6.4.. even then it will still have the sound just deeper.

I was hoping an aero turbine muffler or a Dynomax race bullet might give it a little tone vs the leaf blower sound.. Everyone says no. It's a waste of money to do any type of muffler.

I have found one video on Utube where a 6.4 had a little rumble but no specs on exhaust.

Any input?

I have a brand new Diamond Eye 4" stainless race exhaust still in the box. Contemplating rather to sell it for a 5" kit or just use the 4" kit.

JMart

Reaction score
Change to a single non vgt turbo is the only sure way to get rid of the hairdryer sound. A 5" will give it a deeper tone but you will still hear the vgt. Thats the hairdryer sounds you are complaining about.

sootie

Reaction score
the resonator kills the frequency of the hair dryer noise, leaving the low rumble tone....

Cantbuytime

Reaction score
I can't find any good vids of the fte on a 6.4

If I could justify $3k for a single turbo setup then I would do it. Just can't right now.

So the 4" with an FTE will give it some v8 tone back? Do I need to swap in a new 4" downpipe as well?

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
There is a video of Jeff's old 6.4 with 5" and an fte..it still had the shhhhh sound, but deeper. The only way to eliminate it all together is non-vgt. Non-vgt 6.4 sounds like a 7.3 truck at idle and under load.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I have tried for over a decade to impart the fact that a non-packed resonator/muffler doesn't do much for the high pitch turbine sound... and yes, even the hairdryer type turbine noise on the 6.4's is still turbine noise even though it's not an 03 6.0 turbo.

If you want to knock down hairdryer, use a packed style bullet muffler to clip the hairdryer out of the exhaust note. But it's going to knock down the exhaust tone as well.

I think the hairdryer is cool. It's unique to the 6.4. But my tastes never seem to really trend with the latest trends :eek:

Downpipe won't do squat

Cantbuytime

Reaction score
What about the Aero Turbine mufflers? That's what the guy at a local shop is saying to use. But I can't find vids of em on a 6.4

Rubenk

Reaction score
You can poke through my videos, mines actually pretty quiet until the RPMs come up.

Ceramic coated factory 6.4 manifolds
4" SDP Ceramic coated downpipe
DpeeF-DOC removal pipe
cat-back is factory exhaust, including the little muffler in the rear.

https://www.youtube.com/user/roking06

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.