How to change transmission solenoid

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
First off I want to thank 04cr450 for the help over a phone call. I wouldn't know what I was doing if it weren't for him. So as promised I'm doing a write up on how to change the transmission line pressure solenoid. This solenoid takes more time because you have to drop the valve body.

Things you will need:
8mm socket
10mm socket
ATF fluid mercon LV
a second pair of hands for later

Ok so first off drain the transmission fluid.

Once drained, there will be 20 10mm bolts around the pan, take those off

The gasket around the pan is reusable. After the pan is down leave it under the transmission so any fluid that comes down it hits the pan.

Next take off the transmission filter. It just pulls down. There is a metal spider gear looking piece that sits on top of the valve body. Do not forget where this piece goes.
a6aqetag.jpg

By this time you have already seen the valve body. Now on the passenger side of the transmission there is a box looking connecter that has a 10mm bolt. Take that out and disconnect it.

Next you can take all the 8mm bolts out of the valve body. Don't miss the ones on the tail part of the valve body.
me8esu9u.jpg

Slowly take it straight down. It will be messy. Take the gasket off the valve body.
a2e2u6e4.jpg

Be very carful of the gasket. They can break very easily. I broke mine with it on. Place the valve body on a clean work bench or surface.

There is a tab in a groove. Place a flat head underneath it slightly lift up and turn the the black sensor counter clockwise. Then lift up through the hole.

Take the clip off the sensor and pull out.

Reverse the process to put on. Here is the process to put the bolts back on.
e2e5ypa8.jpg

Fill up with 8 quarts of ATF mercon LV

and your done. You can also do this process to take out other solenoids except not take off the valve body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts