How to make the trans hold 500hp

smokedout250

Reaction score
I know everyone says stock form they handle 500hp. But I'm wondering I anything should be addresses to make it hold solid until I can afford a built transmission. Converter? Or just tunning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
i know a guy who owns a trans shop and has rebuilt many 5r110s. he has a customer that is running 650hp on just a ede comp trans kit. i didnt get a lot of info on how he drives it, but if you have that much power i would imagine that you would want to use it...but i have been talking to him about mine and he says for my goals (550-600) do an ede hd kit, billet input, and torque converter just to be sure, and it should be good to go for 600.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
what would you rather have give? a converter slip some, or have a input snap. I would imagine a better converter, would lock in and put more stress on the stock input.. just IMO.

Sent reeming out the newly rebuilt Clifford

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
what i am going to do is run stock and see how it does. then when the time comes do the ede comp, converter, and maybe a billet shaft or two. but at 500 hp, i would just run it stock for as long as possible. what converter would you go with? just wondering, i havent looked into converters much.

ford rules

Reaction score
what would you rather have give? a converter slip some, or have a input snap. I would imagine a better converter, would lock in and put more stress on the stock input.. just IMO.

This is my thinking also, plus i know i wouldnt really wanna put a nice fresh convertor in an old beat up trans just to take the new convertor out.

If it were me id just run it till it gives up and put a built unit in it.

smokedout250

Reaction score

I see your point! And there's no point just throwing a converter and billet input if its gonna smoke te clutches

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
you'll be surprised at how they hold. rykans truck is on a stock trans at over 500 and its not skipping a beat. mine, yes it's a 6.4, but still a 5r that is easily over 650 close to 700 is still doing great. yes it's not happy, but it's living.

smokedout250

Reaction score
Once I hit 4th it pulls great just flat moves. Down low it feels like a slush box.... I hear the early locks ups will tear up the trans....

smokedout250

Reaction score
Comp kit, Convertor and my modded direct solenoid. Stout package on a budget. Let me know if I can help

I'm just looking to see if I need anything to make it last awhile. It seems I'm just waiting on a budget to appear then ill prolly call warren for a trans. Gonna try an early lock up tune from Matt to see how I like it

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
powerstroked162 can you sent me a quote please

Your PM box is full brother. Shoot me an email address and I'll send you a quote

I'm just looking to see if I need anything to make it last awhile. It seems I'm just waiting on a budget to appear then ill prolly call warren for a trans. Gonna try an early lock up tune from Matt to see how I like it

Good call. Been hearing good things about warren transmissions. Let me know if I can get you a solenoid to go with it. Should round out the package nicely

Latest posts

Members online