how to remove overload spring leaf

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
does anyone have a link or a write up on how to go about removing the rear overload spring on a 2005 f250?

I did it with my dodge ram but the leafs were flipped so it was alot more straight foward.

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
i had to remove my front leveling kit for a few reasons and i want it level so i want to do 2 inch shackles and remove my overload spring.
I never tow anymore and it would make getting my motorcycle in the back alot easier

JMart

Reaction score
You are going to need tall enough jack stands to support the frame and a set to put the axle on and a really good floor jack and good wheel chocks. I would also recommend and air impact or good ratchet with some deep sockets to break apart the u bolts. Other than that its a pretty straight forward job. Same with swapping out the rear shackle. Same procedure except you are working on the end of the leaf instead of the ubolts.

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
If I wasn't leaving I would tell you to just bring it by and we could knock it out in a couple of hours.

As for jack stands, harbor freight.

Its pretty straight forward, just make sure there is enough thread on the U bolts and bolt through the leaf pack.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
***k that!!! this is all you need

torch_zps27bdc6c2.jpg

JMart

Reaction score
ya my issue is finding a jackstand tall enough

I bought a set from Northern Tool that I used when I installed my lift on my 08. If you put them in front of the rear axle where the frame drops down you don't have to go up as high.

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
you think i could get away with 18' max stands?

I guess i could take the tires off and that would make it lower too.

Is it best to unbolt both sides at once?

JMart

Reaction score
you think i could get away with 18' max stands?

I guess i could take the tires off and that would make it lower too.

Is it best to unbolt both sides at once?

I would do one side at a time. I did both sides at the same time when I lowered my truck and the axle tried to walk on me, and one of the spring packs started coming apart. Then the truck rolled off a jack stand. It was a mess. LOL

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
I would do one side at a time. I did both sides at the same time when I lowered my truck and the axle tried to walk on me, and one of the spring packs started coming apart. Then the truck rolled off a jack stand. It was a mess. LOL

oh no ****. :doh: ya thats sketchy

2wd-fire

Reaction score
i did mine both at the same time i just used a jack under the axel. and the little bottle jack on the pinon to to making it easy to keep every think lined up when i put in back in. also the only thing i would of done differently is because the block are gone the u bolts are super long i would started by cutting them down ore buying a new set that are shorter.

YoungMT Hick

Reaction score
When I did my lift kit I use a set of 8 to. Jack stands and the. Using a 2x6 I cut it downto 1 ft sections the. I put two pieces side by side so now you have a 12x12 block screw them together then crisscross four of those so you have a 8" block to put under the stand

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
When I did my lift kit I use a set of 8 to. Jack stands and the. Using a 2x6 I cut it downto 1 ft sections the. I put two pieces side by side so now you have a 12x12 block screw them together then crisscross four of those so you have a 8" block to put under the stand

ya i had considered that possibility. Its amazing how much weight some wood thats screwed together can hold.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I did mine both sides at once when I did it. Jackstands under hitch and axle. BTW you should probably get new U bolts made up. Not really supposed to re use them and a new set is super cheap at any local spring shop!

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
I did mine both sides at once when I did it. Jackstands under hitch and axle. BTW you should probably get new U bolts made up. Not really supposed to re use them and a new set is super cheap at any local spring shop!

what size do you recommend getting?

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
If I wasn't leaving I would tell you to just bring it by and we could knock it out in a couple of hours.

As for jack stands, harbor freight.

Its pretty straight forward, just make sure there is enough thread on the U bolts and bolt through the leaf pack.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

lol when you getting back then?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.