HPFP how to determine its leaking

Reaction score
Hi,

With the tube to injector lines you can run the engine with valve covers off and command a higher rail pressure to see if there are leaks but how would you be able to tell if the HPFP is leaking from that seal? Without taking everything apart. If engine is EGR/DPF deleted and all lines at the injectors aren't leaking by laws of deduction we would assume its the HPFP? I can't imagine any other place it would come from.

pdumont01

Reaction score
I have replaced hpops for fuel in oil every time and it was always fixed. You can command low pressure pump on with engine drained of oil and drain plug out, if it is leaking real bad fuel will come out the hole after a few mins. This is the last one I changed for an unrelated concern........
0571072fe50b4e4b8e53dbaad06e3e14.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
I had one a few months ago to chase down a fuel leak. I ran it with the valve covers off, didn't see any leaks even with pressure commanded up high. Got some fluorescent dye from Napa for fuel systems, poured it in the fuel filter up top and ran it for a few minutes, could see it pouring out of the injector body when I looked with a black light. Dye is cheap, should be able to find a black light cheap as well. Could save you a lot of time and money by confirming its not an injector, fuel rail or even an frp sensor.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I can catch it early with oil analysis as well. But, if it lets loose out of nowhere because of a change in something, analysis won't pick it up soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online