Hpop shaft seal leak...is this bad?

neverkickn

Reaction score
Does it matter if the shaft seal leaks? I have read that some leakage on a 6.0 pump is acceptable but what about a 7.3 oil pump?

neverkickn

Reaction score
Little nudge. Anyone even know if the shaft seal is holding back pressurized oil from the hoop or supply oil from the reservoir.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of where exactly you're talking about? By shaft seal, I assume you mean the shaft that goes into the hpop gear? If not, what do you mean?

neverkickn

Reaction score
Don't have pics. The pump is installed. I am referring to the seal around the pump shaft that is behind the gear.

ghohouston

Reaction score
But its the part that sits "in" the front cover right? If so, how the hell could you tell its leaking, and not just lube oil being thrown on it? Just curious

neverkickn

Reaction score
But its the part that sits "in" the front cover right? If so, how the hell could you tell its leaking, and not just lube oil being thrown on it? Just curious

I am sorry man I just dont know how to help you understand my question. There is only one external shaft seal on a hpop. I am not referring to the gasket for the reservoir to pump mating surface. And yes I am sure that the seal on the pump is compromised as I determined that before the pump was installed. I could see and hear fluid leaking out of the seal when I was putting on the ipr.

Just want to know if there is an acceptable amount of leakage from this seal, anyone know?

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'm almost positive I know what and where you're talking about, was just trying to find out for sure. Sounds like it could be trouble though, if it bleeds off hpo... but ill be honest, I've never dealt with something like that.

neverkickn

Reaction score
There are at least a couple of guys that have looked at this that should know if the seal holds back icp or lpo. No one here built the pump and there is no way this is going to turn into some kind of negative campaign against anyone whatsoever. It truley is a benign technical question.

Lassie

Reaction score
Ford claims that some leakage is acceptable on a 6.0, but testing HPO systems (with 125 lb air), I rarely have heard an audible leak at the seal. Only one I did hear, we swapped the pump.

I know that doesn't answer your question for a 7.3, but on the 6.0 it is HPO you would lose.

golfer

Reaction score
never seen a HPOP leak around the shaft seal (meaning that if it does, it's likely a problem).

FWIW, that seal is 'only' holding back low pressure oil...not HPOil.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Thanks lassie. I didn't even need to apply shop air to see that this one was leaking. This one had test bench fluid seeping out in the vice when I was installing the ipr.

never seen a HPOP leak around the shaft seal (meaning that if it does, it's likely a problem).

FWIW, that seal is 'only' holding back low pressure oil...not HPOil.

Thanks Dave. I am going to get a replacement coming this way. I am also dropping lpo at the top of the reservoir with anything over about 30% throttle. I do have twin pumps which I would think could be a factor as well, but I can't help but wonder if it would hold pressure if the seal was in tact.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online