Hydra tuning???

DocBar

Reaction score
Joe,

Once again, I take great amusement at how blunt your posts are. :clapping:

As I've tried to indicate to those who are concerned with me "stealing" their amazing tuning, it would be like the "A+" student cheating off of the "F" students. There isn't anything in ANYONE's 7.3L tuning that I could learn from. I originated the 7.3L tuning. I decoded more of the 7.3L definitions than anyone else in the industry (outside of Ford, anyway...), and nearly every major tuner in the 7.3L tuning game is using POWER HUNGRY tuning software. Gearhead, Total Diesel Performance, Powerstruck, Swamps, BTS, Tyrant, and a number of others use Minotaur or PCMX (the original version of the software). This is not me being arrogant, this is simply fact. And now with the QuarterHorse support for Minotaur, we continue to pick up sales on Minotaur.

I hear stories about how our HydraFlash software reads files from the chip and sends them to us. Where is the evidence to back this up? Where are the internet logs showing these events? Joe has provided proof that these events DO NOT OCCUR, but the stories still continue. Not in public of course, but in private when customers call. I have also heard stories about how the chips "overheat". With several thousand chips on the street now, we've had exactly 3 instances of chips overheating, and these we're the result of the ribbon cable being caught against a sharp metal edge (two incidents were with the PCM case itself and a third incident was the emergency brake on an OBS) and shorting the chip out, and in all three cases we replaced the chip at no charge despite the fact that it was obvious installation error.

What I find exceedingly funny is that the only reason these rumors exist is because the parties spreading these rumors are scared about the loss of sales that the Hyda Chip and Minotaur software has caused them. We get calls and e-mails regularly about how certain companies have difficulty in selling their products based on the merits of their products, and instead resort to bashing (both public and private), deliberate misinformation, and other questionable business practices in order to make us and our products look inferior. What they fail to realize is that while some people buy into those tactics, most consumers are pretty astute and can smell the bull$hit right away.

I do agree that one of the things that may really annoy the offended parties is that, like you indicated Joe, we give away most of our tuning. How dare we? :doh: We also provide a number of tools at no charge to tuners and dealers. We take the time to listen to people, answer their questions, and do our honest best to provide what they need, even if it means talking them OUT of things.

I wish that people would just do their stuff and let me do mine. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to be professional, diplomatic and tactful. Sometimes I wish I could come right out and publicly call these parties F***ING LIARS. However, despite my personal opinions about other parties may be, I treat EVERYONE with respect. I do not talk bad about ANYONE, publicly or privately. It doesn't accomplish anything and Karma WILL come back and bite you in the A$$ when that's what you show people. All I can do is tell these parties to grow up and handle their own business and quit worrying so much about what we're doing. :poke:

I hope everyone has a great week. And don't forget... Cyclops starts shipping Wednesday!! :pimp:

Take care.

Latest issue out of Jon is now the Hydra is "Burning up" PCM's...

Wish we could get some truth out of this issue...
Bill address' this subject directly. I wouldn't think twice about installing Hydra and plan on buying one in the near future.

Jon never mentioned that to me and, as I posted in another thread, I'm not going to be mad with Jon about his business decisions. It's his company. I intend to buy a Hydra and if he won't tune for it, then I'll use tuners that will. My love for Matt's tunes is well documented and I'd like to try Bill's and a few others that do tune for Hydra.

fireranger

Reaction score
OK, I'm looking for fuel economy mostly, towing some & pedal response, Not rollin coal or anything crazy. I'm looking into a Hydra, Superchips Cortex or Edge Evolution.
Thanks for the help!

ToMang07

Reaction score
OK, I'm looking for fuel economy mostly, towing some & pedal response, Not rollin coal or anything crazy. I'm looking into a Hydra, Superchips Cortex or Edge Evolution.
Thanks for the help!

Hydra, all day long. MOST custom tuners can/will write tunes on it, and you can have multiple tunes (15 IIRC) on it as well.

Reaction score
Joe,

Once again, I take great amusement at how blunt your posts are. :clapping:

As I've tried to indicate to those who are concerned with me "stealing" their amazing tuning, it would be like the "A+" student cheating off of the "F" students. There isn't anything in ANYONE's 7.3L tuning that I could learn from. I originated the 7.3L tuning. I decoded more of the 7.3L definitions than anyone else in the industry (outside of Ford, anyway...), and nearly every major tuner in the 7.3L tuning game is using POWER HUNGRY tuning software. Gearhead, Total Diesel Performance, Powerstruck, Swamps, BTS, Tyrant, and a number of others use Minotaur or PCMX (the original version of the software). This is not me being arrogant, this is simply fact. And now with the QuarterHorse support for Minotaur, we continue to pick up sales on Minotaur.

I hear stories about how our HydraFlash software reads files from the chip and sends them to us. Where is the evidence to back this up? Where are the internet logs showing these events? Joe has provided proof that these events DO NOT OCCUR, but the stories still continue. Not in public of course, but in private when customers call. I have also heard stories about how the chips "overheat". With several thousand chips on the street now, we've had exactly 3 instances of chips overheating, and these we're the result of the ribbon cable being caught against a sharp metal edge (two incidents were with the PCM case itself and a third incident was the emergency brake on an OBS) and shorting the chip out, and in all three cases we replaced the chip at no charge despite the fact that it was obvious installation error.

What I find exceedingly funny is that the only reason these rumors exist is because the parties spreading these rumors are scared about the loss of sales that the Hyda Chip and Minotaur software has caused them. We get calls and e-mails regularly about how certain companies have difficulty in selling their products based on the merits of their products, and instead resort to bashing (both public and private), deliberate misinformation, and other questionable business practices in order to make us and our products look inferior. What they fail to realize is that while some people buy into those tactics, most consumers are pretty astute and can smell the bull$hit right away.

I do agree that one of the things that may really annoy the offended parties is that, like you indicated Joe, we give away most of our tuning. How dare we? :doh: We also provide a number of tools at no charge to tuners and dealers. We take the time to listen to people, answer their questions, and do our honest best to provide what they need, even if it means talking them OUT of things.

I wish that people would just do their stuff and let me do mine. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to be professional, diplomatic and tactful. Sometimes I wish I could come right out and publicly call these parties F***ING LIARS. However, despite my personal opinions about other parties may be, I treat EVERYONE with respect. I do not talk bad about ANYONE, publicly or privately. It doesn't accomplish anything and Karma WILL come back and bite you in the A$$ when that's what you show people. All I can do is tell these parties to grow up and handle their own business and quit worrying so much about what we're doing. :poke:

I hope everyone has a great week. And don't forget... Cyclops starts shipping Wednesday!! :pimp:

Take care.

Keep building an awesome product build. Every one I've sold, the customers love them. Even had two guys that had TS chips with PHP tunes and the trucks run much better with the Hydra chips with the same tuning.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Jonathan and first, I want to commend him for taking the time call me and get all this stuff hashed out. It is greatly appreciated and I hope that everyone can move forward from this point. :)

The bulk of the concern was the assumption that tuning files could/would be read and sent to us through our HydraFlash software/server. The fact of the matter is that the software does not allow for customers to read the files from the chip, nor does the software EVER send files up to our server. Period.

Last year when Jonathan and I had talked at length (about this exact concern, incidentally), I made a comment about my being able to read anybody's chips. Where there apparently was a misunderstanding was that I made the comment of I can read anybody's chip *as long as it is in my hands*. Even with that capability, I do not provide those calibrations to anyone, nor do I use them for any purpose other than in the rare occasion of resolving a warranty issue for a customer.

It is my understanding that after my explanation, Jonathan is now okay with how our software processes calibrations as well as the security of any calibrations he would provide to customers and will be considering offering tunes for the Hydra customers in the future, although that's entirely up to him. If you have any questions about this, please contact Dyno Proven directly and they can help you.

As far as I'm concerned, this issue is resolved and we can all move forward.

Take care and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Freightshaker

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Jonathan and first, I want to commend him for taking the time call me and get all this stuff hashed out. It is greatly appreciated and I hope that everyone can move forward from this point. :)

The bulk of the concern was the assumption that tuning files could/would be read and sent to us through our HydraFlash software/server. The fact of the matter is that the software does not allow for customers to read the files from the chip, nor does the software EVER send files up to our server. Period.

Last year when Jonathan and I had talked at length (about this exact concern, incidentally), I made a comment about my being able to read anybody's chips. Where there apparently was a misunderstanding was that I made the comment of I can read anybody's chip *as long as it is in my hands*. Even with that capability, I do not provide those calibrations to anyone, nor do I use them for any purpose other than in the rare occasion of resolving a warranty issue for a customer.

It is my understanding that after my explanation, Jonathan is now okay with how our software processes calibrations as well as the security of any calibrations he would provide to customers and will be considering offering tunes for the Hydra customers in the future, although that's entirely up to him. If you have any questions about this, please contact Dyno Proven directly and they can help you.

Hey that's great news!

DocBar

Reaction score

That's great news!! Kudo's to you for taking the time to make the call. Hopefully, I can now buy the Hydra and get all the tunes I want from all the tuners I want to use!

Happy thanksgiving yourself, Bill. I might be up your way soon. I'm working in Augusta, Ga.

fireranger

Reaction score
I went and picked up my Hydra Monday! Fortunately I live close enough to PHP to pick it up from them. They were great! I felt like I was with old friends although I'd never met any of them & only spoken to Sean a few times. I just got it put in! I had to call because I'm stupid! They were great & patient with my lack of computer skills. I took a short test drive & went through selections, WOW! This is my first mod. I'd like to hear from some of y'all who have a Hydra & what settings you use for daily driving & towing around 8000lbs. So many choices!:clapping: Thanks in advanced & thanks PHP!!!

superpsd

Reaction score
Has anyone messed around with the QH emulator? Since the emulator plugs into the J3 port I would assume you would have to remove the emulator and reinstall the hydra chip after live tuning. Then load any files to the hydra. Looking to purchase hydra/minotaur here soon to replace my TS chip and like what I am hearing so far.

Latest posts

Members online