Hydro locked?

qcfarmer

Reaction score
I just finished changing injector o-rings and sleeves. When I had everything out, I put the VC back on and spun it over to get all the crap out of the cylinder. I put everything back together and when I try crank it over, it just jams the starter. I am taking the VC back off and will pull the gp but why would it lock again?

David N

Reaction score
How long did you turn the motor over? I know it took me a little more than I thought to get the oil out. You should be able to hear a noticeable difference when the oil is completely out.

qcfarmer

Reaction score
With the injectors out, I cranked it a few times. I think I found the problem. I tried to turn it over by hand and was able to with some resistance but not the much. I then went back to the starter and it turned over for 6-7 seconds and then nothing. At this point, oil and fuel were leaking out of the muffler a bit so I knew there was a bit of fluid left in the cylinders the first time it jammed. I went to turn it by Hand thinking it had re-locked but it turned over easily. Went to try starter and had nothing but a click. I then went look at the starter thinking I had jammed it but found my battery cable completely corroded and the terminal looked like this.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370735744.993133.jpg
Needless to say I will be replacing it tomorrow and go from there.

Milford

Reaction score
Well atleast its not hydro locked. I had that happen from an injector hold down bolt breaking at 65-70mph on the highway. didn't break my PMRs or anything else but was still a PITA!!!

mudslinger02

Reaction score
Put the injectors in and take the glow plugs out then crank it over to clear the cylinders

qcfarmer

Reaction score
I usually pull the gp and clear it out that way because I usually change them as well. These gp all tested good so no need to pull them. Anyways, motor turns over fine by hand, the extra load on the starter from the extended crank must have heated the terminal enough for it to fall apart.

Arisley

Reaction score
If you clear the cylinders with the injectors out, you will be refilling the cylinders at the same time you are emptying them.

Sent from my truck while eating, adjusting the radio and passing a Mustang sideways.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
If you clear the cylinders with the injectors out, you will be refilling the cylinders at the same time you are emptying them.

Sent from my truck while eating, adjusting the radio and passing a Mustang sideways.

That's the exact thing i was thinking.

qcfarmer

Reaction score
That's probably what happened. Anyway, I got the starter cable fixed and cranked her over 2-3 turns and now the starter doesn't engage anymore. It just spins freely. Took it off (it was HOT) and it is rusted to sh!t so I will get a new one tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.