Hydrolocking when it rains

OSCS

Reaction score
Strange issue my uncle is having here. He claims that when it rains heavily his truck has a hard time starting. He claims it is hydrolocking and has to let it sit for awhile and turn it over a few times before it will start. This is a 2002 He says its been going on for a few years and is increasingly getting worse.

Now i will say that my uncle is an established mechanic by trade and knows his way around a motor. He says hes never seen anything like this. I too agree this sounds strange and figure maybe there is a short somewhere that is opening up an injector?

Take note this only happens whens it has rained a lot.. ideas?

OSCS

Reaction score
Assuming fuel. I don't see how water/coolant could make its way into the cylinders. Take note that the hood is closed at all times, this is just a normal truck sitting in a driveway.

78f100

Reaction score
It's possible the idm/wiring is getting wet and over fueling a injector, causing hydro lock

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I had a windstar hydrolock the other day after a rainstorm. A leaking intake gasket and plugged cowl drain had filled #5 up with water 0_o

ghohouston

Reaction score
Strange issue my uncle is having here. He claims that when it rains heavily his truck has a hard time starting. He claims it is hydrolocking and has to let it sit for awhile and turn it over a few times before it will start. This is a 2002 He says its been going on for a few years and is increasingly getting worse.

Now i will say that my uncle is an established mechanic by trade and knows his way around a motor. He says hes never seen anything like this. I too agree this sounds strange and figure maybe there is a short somewhere that is opening up an injector?

Take note this only happens whens it has rained a lot.. ideas?

Holy crap, where have you been? I haven't seen you on here in what seems like a year.

OSCS

Reaction score
Keep the suggestions coming gentlemen. Also why would you assume it's not hydro locking?

What's up ghohouston! Yeah I haven't been around at all.. The truck has been running great so I just left it alone.. Plus I've been busy with this thing

9E9AFF2B-FE10-4C60-A8AA-D1D07E6C9969_zpsehyp1xe3.jpg

B24000EA-4835-4C1B-87C4-448661232076_zpssx5wtgyg.png

Arisley

Reaction score
Pull the dipstick, does it smell like fuel? Crack the drain plug and drain out a quart of oil, does it separate into fuel and oil?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Cps and idm's are known to cause issues in the rain. That's if it's not actually hydrolocking. I assume he checked the air filter for water?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Keep the suggestions coming gentlemen. Also why would you assume it's not hydro locking?

What's up ghohouston! Yeah I haven't been around at all.. The truck has been running great so I just left it alone.. Plus I've been busy with this thing

9E9AFF2B-FE10-4C60-A8AA-D1D07E6C9969_zpsehyp1xe3.jpg

B24000EA-4835-4C1B-87C4-448661232076_zpssx5wtgyg.png

Right on!

OSCS

Reaction score
I will ask him to check all these things tomorrow. Assuming it's not actually hydro locking, what else could cause symptoms like this? Something is clearly stopping the motor from turning over..

Latest posts

Members online