I think I am defueling at 24psi...

George4

Reaction score
So I installed my GTP38R in my truck this morning. Went in without any problems and only took a little over 2 hours, I thought I did ok for never pulling a turbo on a powerstroke. But I noticed that I am maxing out my boost at 24psi. I think I am defueling. I adjusted the waist gate to where it will only open less than 45* when at full stroke so I don't think thats the problem. I hoped/thought my SCT 9600 would had over rode it not to defuel. Do I just need to get a new tune? Or what else else do you guys think I have going on? I also get a CEL come on when I get around 22-24psi then it goes off. The only codes I found that I have are a P1000, CEL, and a P0603, from the tuner. Thanks.

~George

under pressure

Reaction score
Do u have a boost limiter aka over boost anhiliater connected to the map sensor ?
Located in the engine bay, pass side, it has a rubber tube running to it from the CAC aka spyder to read boost pressure.

Arisley

Reaction score
Most tuners can overide the overboost defuel, some can turn out the overboost light. If you don't have tunes for that, you will need a boost fooler so that the MAP sensor will never see 24 lbs of boost.

George4

Reaction score
Yea, I don't have a boost fooler since I am using the livewire to monitor my gauges. I guess I will have to get new tunes or a main boost gauge. I wonder if PHP can make tunes that won't have the issue? I have sent him a PM about some info on his tunes a few days ago but have yet to here back...

George4

Reaction score
Any of the custom tuners can turn of the defuel. A boost gauge will not fix your issue. You need a boost fooler.

So are you saying with a new tune I can stop it from defueling or that I need a boost fooler? The reason I said I would need a boost gauge if it can't be done with a new tune is because if I add a boost fooler it will also be fooling my current monitor.

machinestheman

Reaction score
if you run a boost fooler you will need a boost guage to read actual boost also bill should be able to write tunes to remove that issue from the equasion completely which would save you the extra boost guage and the boost fooler either way your in good hands with php

Reaction score
get yourself a 1/4 air reg and some 1/4 hose. the reg will probably come with a gauge, temporarily set it up and run air through it with a compressor set at 22 psi or so then simply put it in your line from manifold to map sensor. did mine for 10 bucks from harbor freight.

Nobody Special

Reaction score
It doesn't matter who does the tuning on your truck. If you're using a monitor that uses the datastream from the PCM to give you data, you will NEVER see actual boost above 24-25 PSI. The Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor is not able to "read" any more pressure than that.

George4

Reaction score
It doesn't matter who does the tuning on your truck. If you're using a monitor that uses the datastream from the PCM to give you data, you will NEVER see actual boost above 24-25 PSI. The Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor is not able to "read" any more pressure than that.

So you are saying that either way I am going to have to get an additional boost gauge to see what psi I am really at. The MAP sensor just can't read over 24 psi? Is there an upgraded MAP sensor out there? I just really didn't want to have to start adding more gauges if I did not half too. I would like to keep the dash clean as possable...

Nobody Special

Reaction score
So you are saying that either way I am going to have to get an additional boost gauge to see what psi I am really at. The MAP sensor just can't read over 24 psi?

That's what I'm saying (if you really care what you're "boosting"; not that it matters).

George4

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. But does someone sell a MAP sensor with a higher tolerance for boost pressures?

George4

Reaction score
I found a thread from 09 on PSN with Matt from Gearhead saying they were working an a new MAP sensor that will have the capacity for boost in excess of 35 psi. Does anyone know about it?

George4

Reaction score
So I had new tunes made up from Innovative Diesel. I am still getting the P0603 at 24 psi. The truck runs great but I hate when the CEL comes on when at full boost. Any ideas? I tried out there Xtreme X and Xtreme Street tunes and both throw the P0603 at WOT at high boost levels...

yzrmbsg

Reaction score
The light still comes on but you do not defuel? If so, then its working correctly. If you don't want the light to come on, you will need a boost fooler on the map sensor. Mine is the same way, light comes on at 24ish #'s, but it doesn't defuel, the light is annoying, but it doesnt justify to me the purchase of a boost fooler.

George4

Reaction score
Well SOB! I thought I could get rid of the CEL at 24psi with new tunes. I will call them and see if they can make the light not go off for high boost numbers.

Petro

Reaction score
This is kind of a derail but how do you like your innovative tunes? Anything you don't like about them? Smokey at all? Touchy throttle? Curious because I'll be ordering them soon.

Latest posts

Members online