I think she's done boys.

swinky

Reaction score
Just got done doing 275/100s. Drove the truck for 15 minutes pull back in the driveway and it idled up to like 1200 then died. Trying to crank it back up and it's not showing lpo on the gauge. Ipr at 94.9 icp at .20 volts. I'm thinking it dropped a lifter. When it quits raining I'll go pull the oil filter cap to see if it's building oil up in the filter housing.

Any chance it's the ipr? I'm just really worried it's not showing lpo on the dash gauge.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Lifter failure is a gradual process that I've nailed down to roughly 200 miles. That from the point in which one starts to hear a faint ticking til you hear the popping of the intake.

IMO if your cranking cadence is good with no obnormal popping sound you don't have a lifter issue. First thing I'd do is yes remove the cap and crank. Pending that I'd remove the oil psi regulator and see if it's scored or debris in there

Any chance that the check ball checked itself out of the HPOP?

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
Pulled cap and no oil in housing. Unfortunately it is popping out the intake pretty good. Lifters were new 8k miles ago.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Lifters were new as in new ford part 8000 miles ago? Or aftermarket? Ford parts up here in the great white north are covered 2 years unlimited mileage now, just wondering if you could possibly have some sort of warranty on it? Not sure how that works with internal engine problems though.

Just finished doing a short block in an 08 e series 125,000 kms, #1 Exhaust Lifter spit out the needle bearings, wrecked the cam, destroyed lpop, hpop, lifter bore scored. What a mess.

Last edited:

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Wow. Hope someone comes good on that deal.

I did just replace a lifter and lpop for customer a while back, did get it running. Who knows what kind of other damage it caused but he ran it like that for a year or so before he sold it. Not too hard to look at the lpop/ front cover. Remove the 4 bolts from the balancer, 4 or 5 bolts hold the lpop gear cover on and you can slide the gears off.

78f100

Reaction score
My 04 did this about 2 years ago with my bro in law driving it to hs prom. The lpop bound the gears up, damaged the front cover also. I never got the whole story but he said it just died while they were returning their prom clothes. I didn't have time to mess with it for about 8 months. I put a new lpop, and hpop in it and it ran great for about 100 miles then a lifter failed. I hope it's not a lifter in your case but if you have luck like me it is...

ToMang07

Reaction score
This blows! Hope you get it sorted out!

oh_wait_gif.png

swinky

Reaction score
Gonna rip it apart today.
6caa27235b77066ba9a1c173ee773fbd.jpg
this happened while installing injectors. The broke end went down into the oil pan so I'm hoping this is what's caught up in the lpop. Just weird this happened 10 miles after injector install and i didn't get it over 3k rpm.

pdumont01

Reaction score
The needle bearing is small enough to go through the screen. Hopefully you just sprung a HP leak somewhere. Have you tried to air test it? I've dropped broken torx into the pan before. I find it hard to believe a brand new lifter bearing came apart that quick. You never know though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
It was the regulator boys. Trucks running great. Going to put a new regulator in it and do an oil change. Unfortunately whatever caused the reg to stick couldn't be found with a pencil magnet. I will probably go ahead and buy a new lpop gear set and keep it in the truck. I'm assuming the gears are slightly chewed up.

Latest posts

Members online