I was told I will fail emissions because "chips are illegal"

edge186

Reaction score
I live in northern Utah in a county that requires diesel emissions. The past few years, my 2001 7.3 has passed with flying colors. Due to the fact that the truck didn't come with a catalytic converter, all that is required for the emissions test is a dynamo-meter/smoke test.

The result of my dyno test this year was 1.63 (not sure what units this is measured in) of the limit of 20. This year, I was told that my truck passed, but next year it will fail. The reasoning behind this is that I have an Edge monitor in the windshield that looks like a chip. And apparently any kind of chip or tuning is illegal now. I would like to see the legislation behind this but whatever. The guy told me that because of the device in my windshield (a MONITOR) my truck will fail. The truck does currently have a PHP chip. Each time I go, I simply turn the chip to stock setting and hide the switch under the dashboard. Without them connecting a computer to the OBDII port (which they don't) they would have no idea its chipped. Their only reasoning for the truck being chipped was the monitor in the windshield. No matter how many times I told them that it was only a monitor, he kept telling me that "they can be programmed."

I called the guy in charge to try to get some clarification and he kept telling me that it is not limited to just chips. He says "Any tampering whatsoever." He says that they are working with vehicle manufacturers and the manufacturers are willing to share technology with them that will tell if a vehicle has EVER had a chip installed. (I'm assuming this is determined by interruptions in the PCM) If any tampering is suspected, the vehicle will fail. So basically, every diesel in the county will fail next year.

So if I bring my truck in with a monitor on the dash, because it looks like something that could be programmed, my truck will fail. Regardless of how well it does on the dyno. His advise was to bring any literature that came with the product to prove that its not a chip.

Does anyone have any input on this? What a crock of crap.

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'd let em test it with the edge monitor hooked up, then test again with it unhooked. Then tell em again, it's not a chip. There's is also no way in hell an inspection shop can tell if a 7.3 is tuned by hooking up a scanner to the obd2 port, and I don't believe ford can even tell on these dinosaurs.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Well first nobody should be doing dyno tests anymore for emissions... I live in Utah and have not done that for 10 years.

edge186

Reaction score
Well first nobody should be doing dyno tests anymore for emissions... I live in Utah and have not done that for 10 years.

I don't know what to tell you.... They put it on a dyno, mash the throttle, see how much it smokes. I've never seen them do this for gas emissions but diesel emissions, yes. Davis County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you.... They put it on a dyno, mash the throttle, see how much it smokes. I've never seen them do this for gas emissions but diesel emissions, yes. Davis County.

You don't need to tell me anything... they are idiots.

Reaction score
I live in northern Utah in a county that requires diesel emissions. The past few years, my 2001 7.3 has passed with flying colors. Due to the fact that the truck didn't come with a catalytic converter, all that is required for the emissions test is a dynamo-meter/smoke test.

The result of my dyno test this year was 1.63 (not sure what units this is measured in) of the limit of 20. This year, I was told that my truck passed, but next year it will fail. The reasoning behind this is that I have an Edge monitor in the windshield that looks like a chip. And apparently any kind of chip or tuning is illegal now. I would like to see the legislation behind this but whatever. The guy told me that because of the device in my windshield (a MONITOR) my truck will fail. The truck does currently have a PHP chip. Each time I go, I simply turn the chip to stock setting and hide the switch under the dashboard. Without them connecting a computer to the OBDII port (which they don't) they would have no idea its chipped. Their only reasoning for the truck being chipped was the monitor in the windshield. No matter how many times I told them that it was only a monitor, he kept telling me that "they can be programmed."

I called the guy in charge to try to get some clarification and he kept telling me that it is not limited to just chips. He says "Any tampering whatsoever." He says that they are working with vehicle manufacturers and the manufacturers are willing to share technology with them that will tell if a vehicle has EVER had a chip installed. (I'm assuming this is determined by interruptions in the PCM) If any tampering is suspected, the vehicle will fail. So basically, every diesel in the county will fail next year.

So if I bring my truck in with a monitor on the dash, because it looks like something that could be programmed, my truck will fail. Regardless of how well it does on the dyno. His advise was to bring any literature that came with the product to prove that its not a chip.

The smog nazis around here have been saying this same thing for years. I've heard everything from "it will pass but the owner will get a letter about it" to "this machine checks the Cal verification and will fail any tuned vehicle".

In reality, even with the newest machine, it has no way to check anything other than codes and that all supported monitors are run. The machine doesn't even pull the Vin number out.

Reaction score

I would call the governing body for Smog check in Utah and ask them about the dyno test. Obviously don't mention anything about the truck being modified. Even in Cali, they don't put the diesel on a dyno, and those shops that do and get caught are fined for it since it's considered an incorrect test. The dyno that's spec'd here is only rated to 250hp. A stock 6.7 goes on there and gets a full throttle pull would blow it up lol.

vr6nutt

Reaction score
Prior to my last check here in the Smog nazi capitol, I set the tuner to stock and run it for about a week to give plenty of engine start cycles. They do a snap test and even hooked it up to the OBD port (I assume to check for codes and to see if the ECU has been cleared??) This year I need to do it again - I know they're getting stricter.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Reaction score
Ah good ole davis county... At least they don't make you go to the one and only emissions testing facility the county owned anymore.

SeeYa

Reaction score

Take out the monitor., return to stock, pass test.

edge186

Reaction score
Ah good ole davis county... At least they don't make you go to the one and only emissions testing facility the county owned anymore.

Where else can you get it done in Davis? The county place in Kaysville is the only one I've known about. That is where I was fed this load of crap.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Well SOB I apologize, I'm wrong. I could have swore i read somewhere that davis did away with that testing center and opened it up to vendors to do the testing like SL county does. I noticed the sign(Davis County diesel emissions testing center) on the building was gone from that location next to I-15 where they did the testing. So I just assumed that Bs was gone.

Davis county is on a mission to get all those flipped up tow mirror, stacks in the bed smoke belching dodges off the road. LOL
They can do what ever they want as far as testing goes, from what I read they make up their own rules up there. Time to get a po box in box elder county or Evanston.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
They do a snap test and even hooked it up to the OBD port (I assume to check for codes and to see if the ECU has been cleared??) This year I need to do it again - I know they're getting stricter.

Probably to check for codes and to see if it pass/fails the monitors.

greyford1979

Reaction score
This is why I'm glad we have kiosk's here at some of the testing facilities. Don't have to deal with any of the idiots, just pull up, plug in and test it yourself. When I first bought my truck, it took 3 different people to figure out that my truck came without a cat from the factory :doh:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.