IC BOOTS

aceltx

Reaction score
Installed new GTP38R and all new boots a few months ago. I dont drive truck everyday. I have had 2 boots that keep blowing off. The one coming out of turbo, IC PIPE SIDE, and the one going into intercooler, IC pipe side. They Vulcan boots, came with all new ss clamps. I also removed intercooler and cleaned inside and out when I did turbo, nothing is clogged inside it. I have sprayed them with hair spray. I dont know what to do, or have any other ideas. I am sick and tired of fixing it on the side of the road.
At this point if no one has any ideas, what is the best set of boots to get? I will just buy another set.
Only thing I can think of is the cc vent pushes a little oil inside and after a while it makes its way under the clamp, then when I step on it, its slippery and blows off. I never had any problems with the stock ford boots and my old turbo, they were just so old they were leaking oil through them and needed to be replaced.
Funny thing to, my stock turbo was doin about 24psi of boost, I havent seen my boost gauge above 20psi with the new turbo, the boots are blowing off around 10psi. So sick of it. Anyone?????? Ideas????

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
May I add if you're going to use brake clean to clean up the boots/pipes/ Ic that you only spray it on a rag and wipe it clean. You might be changing your underwear if you spray it directly near the pipes/IC. Second the hairspray as well, helps make the surface more tacky. Do the same on handlebar grips, works well.

fastersteve

Reaction score
I kept popipng the turbo out to IC pipe boot as well.

Ended up gluing the boot to the IC pipe with silicone sealer, hasn't popped off since, even at 35 psi.

aceltx

Reaction score
Yes I cleaned the pipes when i installed the brand new boots, took em all apart and recleaned them after 3rd time popping off. Also ised hair spray almost everytime except on original install. Those 2 specific boots just keep blowing off no matter what i do.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
May I add if you're going to use brake clean to clean up the boots/pipes/ Ic that you only spray it on a rag and wipe it clean. You might be changing your underwear if you spray it directly near the pipes/IC. Second the hairspray as well, helps make the surface more tacky. Do the same on handlebar grips, works well.
of course you let the brake cleaner dry first before you try starting the truck.. lol
Yes I cleaned the pipes when i installed the brand new boots, took em all apart and recleaned them after 3rd time popping off. Also ised hair spray almost everytime except on original install. Those 2 specific boots just keep blowing off no matter what i do.
double clamps on the ic tube side of the boots?

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That's what I would try if nothing else would work
my dieselsite boots where the best but my dumbass over tightened them and ripped the inner liner on two of them.. so i went with riffraff boots this time as they cost about half as much for the entire set.. if everything is clean, they will barely slide on the ic tubes.. so i use brake clean as lube to slide them over and double clamp them.. haven't had an issue yet, cept one time i tried starting it to soon and the brake cleaner caused a backfire.. scared the chit outta me.. lol

live life full throttle

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, not everyone knows haha. A backfire is not so bad, just don't want anyone to have a run away... It gets the old heart going sometimes lol

Guy at work thought it would be a good idea to use Varsol to clean a intake manifold I a 6.0 Even after blowing it out with compressed air and letting it dry overnight, it came alive in a hurry!

Jomax

Reaction score
For a 7.3 what would need to be done to stop a run away engine?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

aceltx

Reaction score
I will try the double clamps if I have enough room for them. Such a pain in the ass. Somethings got to be wrong with boots or maybe i not tighten enough though if these are blowing off at 10psi.

Jomax

Reaction score
I will try the double clamps if I have enough room for them. Such a pain in the ass. Somethings got to be wrong with boots or maybe i not tighten enough though if these are blowing off at 10psi.

You're not tightening them enough, I'm sure of it 100%; there's no need for double clamping at your power level.

Jomax

Reaction score
power level or boost level? or his ic tube ends are like a waffle cone...

live life full throttle

Boost* oops lol.

If the tubes were waffle cones, they would've done it with the old turbo.

Only thing I can think of is he clamped it on the tip of the tube making it cone.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.