Icon 4 Link vs Adjustable Link arms

bricewise

Reaction score
So last week TXGlassman was selling his Icon 4 link system as he was buying OUO adjustable link arms (sorry for hijacking your post man) and I'm trying to figure out the advantage of them, if any?

I'm supposed to be getting my stage 4 Icon system today and trying to figure out if I should just not install the 4 link system in the front and buy adjustable link arms (OUO or PMF).

So far I think the only thing I've gotten is it provides more clearance? Is this true? Are there any other reasons?

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I am not 100% sure but I would imagine you can get more flex out of the truck with the ALA's vs the 4 link as well

DFW64

Reaction score
So last week TXGlassman was selling his Icon 4 link system as he was buying OUO adjustable link arms (sorry for hijacking your post man) and I'm trying to figure out the advantage of them, if any?

I'm supposed to be getting my stage 4 Icon system today and trying to figure out if I should just not install the 4 link system in the front and buy adjustable link arms (OUO or PMF).

So far I think the only thing I've gotten is it provides more clearance? Is this true? Are there any other reasons?

http://www.oneupoffroad.com/ouoproducts.html

TripleE44

Reaction score
From what I gather the link arms are working off of the theory that it keeps the front end somewhat like ford designed but better. It does make sense if you think about it like this, ford spent millions deciding that a radius arm type setup worked best. So why not just see what you can do to improve upon that design?

There was a thread about this over on psn a while back and it turned into a real fight between the 4link camp and the adjustable link arm camp. I think like a lot of things, there are going to be people who think one is better than the other and vise versa.

I've never had anything but radius arms or my 4-link on my truck, but I can tell you I'm happy with my 4-link.

I can't say I personally have experience but from what I've been told steering seems tighter, ride seems better and handling is also somewhat better with the link arms. Again, that's not me, that's a friend's experience. I can say that my truck stays nice and planted on rough roads with my 4link, much more than with my radius arm setup. I think the 4link will provide a good amount of change from your factory radius arm setup, and I would go ahead and put it on to see what you think.

Aaron S

Reaction score
I say stick with the four link. I feel the four link can provide better articulation off road. On road the four link allows more body roll, but if its a problem for you then a larger anti sway bar can be added.

bricewise

Reaction score
Well, for the time being, I think I'm just going to install the 4-link and see what I think about it.

Now the problem becomes...I got my package and already ordered coil-over shocks....This is a sickness.

I'm hoping my omega bypass shocks will still work with these coil-overs

TripleE44

Reaction score
Well, for the time being, I think I'm just going to install the 4-link and see what I think about it.

Now the problem becomes...I got my package and already ordered coil-over shocks....This is a sickness.

Sounds like you've got the sickness pretty bad. LOL

I'm not sure that the shocks will work alongside coilovers, I think they need to be valved specifically for that. It may be different with them being bypasses though, I know mine have a decent amount of adjustment in them. If not I'm sure Icon can make them work if you send them back and they have a pretty decent turn around time.

Fenner408

Reaction score
I decided to build a set of ALAs over a 4-link just because of the it was going to be easier. Hopefully it makes some big improvements over stock.

Layson

Reaction score

Sounds like a good plan. You might want to talk to Icon or whomever you bought it from about your combo! You could really do some fun stuff with the shock & coilover valving for that setup.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I say stick with the four link. I feel the four link can provide better articulation off road. On road the four link allows more body roll, but if its a problem for you then a larger anti sway bar can be added.

Unfortunately wrong. The ALA's will NEVER reach a point of bind in their entire path of articulation. The 4 link will be prime in its set point, but out of that, articulation will be limited and a binding effect will be created. You cannot take 2 parallel bars very far out of their travel, before one will pull and the other will push, also, neither point of connection (IE Frame & Axle) can adjustThe bars can NEVER change length during articulation, so theres no way of preventing that.. Want a badass wheeling truck, hit the dunes in Laysons truck. ALA's, never binds. No bump steer either

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
4 links...won't have the Castor and Pinion angle changes that a 3 link will...Rod ends are for off road only and should be checked frequently, they will also transmit noise.

3 links....great for pure offroading rockcrawling but IMO not best option for the street.

Full size trucks and flex....these are not rock crawlers....

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
4 links...won't have the Castor and Pinion angle changes that a 3 link will...Rod ends are for off road only and should be checked frequently, they will also transmit noise.

3 links....great for pure offroading rockcrawling but IMO not best option for the street.

Full size trucks and flex....these are not rock crawlers....

Why not great for on the street?

NotStock

Reaction score
A radius arm (3-link) based system pivots around a single point where it attaches to the frame. Castor sweeps and changes as it rotates. If the truck is articulating (ie one side is compressing when the other is not), one side of the axle is attempting to change castor while the other is not. Given the axle is a solid piece and must act as one, it will bind. Any "flex" that is allowed is bushing and joint deflection. This is why a radius arm (3-link) based system will have tighter steering response because in a way, per design it is acting as a sway bar.

A properly designed 4-link will have very little castor change through the suspension cycle. The less castor change, the more freely the axle can articulate without bind. This will in turn allow more free movement of the suspension. In turn allowing more body roll and softer suspension.

As to which is better, there are tons of things to take into account that varies depending on the customer and how they use their truck. There are also many design elements that go into 4-links that can create different performance to better suit an application.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score

why was my name even drug into this? why was icons name and others drug into this?

why couldnt you have just ask simply what the difference between 3 link and 4 link is?

bricewise

Reaction score
Like my original post said, you were selling a 4 link system and replacing it with an adjustable three link system. I asked in that thread and you got pissed and asked the thread be closed.

And like I also said, I just got a Icon 4 Link system and seeing how I'm pretty ignorant I figured I'd ask what the differences were and why someone would want to replace it.

So with my question not answered, I asked again in its own thread. It wasn't my intention to drag your name through the mud or whatever your implying. If you'd like the thread edited ask a Moderator (if I knew how I would). It appears you've done a lot of the things that I'm trying to do so I figured you'd be helpful. I apologize for making that assumption.

bricewise

Reaction score
Layson or Sak have provided videos to compare things like full progressive springs in back vs OUO traction bars and a few other things.

Does anybody know of any videos which show 4 link versus ALA's?

Layson

Reaction score
Bricewise, take a look at some of the videos of the OUO trucks mobbing around. Essentially the front system is the same as the ALA's. Take a look, there are more videos but here are a couple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLTKLI2QouQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-AAgp9UZNo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have not seen any outfit that builds 4-links even have a video of their product out actually driving it offroad. So I don't have a video for comparision.

My front end is set up the same way and my truck drives like it is supposed to. Been in the dunes/snow and have not had any issues. Someday I will get some videos of mine.

Like I said before, I would run your icon 4-link and see how you like it. It sounds like a killer setup with the coilovers and omega's!

Latest posts

Members online