Icon shocks or Bilsteins?

Jomax

Reaction score
Im getting ready to put Deaver leveling springs and im stuck on which one to get. I want the smoothest shock but need to keep it under $120 per shock. Thanks

DMAX

Reaction score
I have Bilsteins 5100's on my duramax and probably will never use another shock. I have never used Icon shocks

me2

Reaction score
I just installed Bilstein 5160s on my truck. $190 per shock, but you can rebuild/ retune them. You cant rebuild a 5100.

I have 5100s on the back of my old truck. Good shocks, but they are a bit harsh at the end of their travel. 5160s have the divider piston in the reservoir and don't suffer from high nitrogen pressure at the end of the stroke like 5100s do.

I'll report back how I like the 5160s in a few weeks.

az350

Reaction score
Icon... I run the icon coil overs nice ride. But I just put a set of icon 2.5 with piggy back resi's on my friends 2011 best riding super duty I have ever been in..
1879d4ee-516b-ae9e.jpg

From The Southwest ! TaPaTaLk.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
i am running icon shocks and icon coilovers, i will be going to icon 2.5 piggy pack resi shocks as well in the near future

but will let you in on sometheing

every icon shock i have seen or installed has a small stamp on the bottom that says bilstien. So is a icon is a modified bilstien shock, you cant go wrong with either choice

me2

Reaction score
but will let you in on sometheing

every icon shock i have seen or installed has a small stamp on the bottom that says bilstien. So is a icon is a modified bilstien shock
Now that is interesting. What diameter are ICON shocks ? Which Bilstein model do you think they most resemble ?

SAK

Reaction score
Im getting ready to put Deaver leveling springs and im stuck on which one to get. I want the smoothest shock but need to keep it under $120 per shock. Thanks

ICON's will run you $145.50/ shock, so that puts you over your limit of $120/ shock. You could run the Fox 2.0 Performance Shox and would be $119.50. They are a good shock for the money.

every icon shock i have seen or installed has a small stamp on the bottom that says bilstien. So is a icon is a modified bilstien shock, you cant go wrong with either choice

All ICON shocks are now built in house at ICON. Previously some ICON shocks were Bilsteins as they were having a hard time getting there shocks from Edelbrock, which is who use to build their shocks.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
All ICON shocks are now built in house at ICON. Previously some ICON shocks were Bilsteins as they were having a hard time getting there shocks from Edelbrock, which is who use to build their shocks.

thanks for the info sak, i didnt install the set on my truck now and thats the only set i havent really looked at really good, i just checked and made sure it was all good after install.

But thats good to hear that its all inhouse now, ill be ready to add a set of 2.5 piggy backs to my front end with my coilovers soon

me2

Reaction score
ICON's will run you $145.50/ shock, so that puts you over your limit of $120/ shock.

I found them to be over $200 per shock.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/ICON-Reservoir-Shock-p-1275.html

It wasn't clear to me if they were rebuildable or not. They claim to use a "digressive" piston, a term that Bilstein uses too.

Bilstein 5160s installed. I'll put bellows on the them later.

DSC_8099.jpg

DSC_8102.jpg

There isn't a lot of extra room on the passenger side.

Hint. Use a 1" ratchet strap to compress the shock to the right length to fit the bolt holes. These shocks are WAY harder to compress than the stock shocks.

Jomax

Reaction score
ICON's will run you $145.50/ shock, so that puts you over your limit of $120/ shock. You could run the Fox 2.0 Performance Shox and would be $119.50. They are a good shock for the money.

I thought I found ICON's that were around 120? They looked identical to 5100's I might be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using
TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
2012 pearl white Focus

SAK

Reaction score

me2

Reaction score
I ran some errands with my 5160s installed yesterday and they are much less harsh than the stock shocks.

The front axle rides quite nice with them and the rear axle is much more controlled. You don't get the bang-bang when going over sharp bumps.

Zmann

Reaction score
Well after the ICON customer service thread and reading how often they may need to be rebuilt and short warranty ,, atleast for the ICON's .. what's your options

can either be rebuilt at Home ? or do they need to go back to the MFG ?

Jomax

Reaction score
Well after the ICON customer service thread and reading how often they may need to be rebuilt and short warranty ,, atleast for the ICON's .. what's your options

Might be getting bilstens after all if they need to be rebuilt often....

Sent from my iPhone using
TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
2012 pearl white Focus

me2

Reaction score

The Bilsteins are nitrogen charged to 300(?) PSI. That is about the only special part about it, other than taking the shock apart, etc.

I'll be asking if I can use welding gas instead of nitrogen when I do mine.

As far as I know the 5160s are the least expensive rebuildable/tunable shock on the market and they are remote reservoir to boot.

I've only put 20 miles on my truck with them, but I can definitely tell they ride better.

Latest posts

Members online