ICP question.

DIE5EL

Reaction score
This weekend I was tinkering around putting a serpentine belt on my truck. When I got it finished I started it up to make sure it wasn't going to fly off or whatnot. While I was sitting on the top of the engine I noticed that the engine was kinda Idling funny. So I decided to unplug the ICP sensor and see if it helped. Well when I went to unplug it, I grabbed the connector and pulled up. When I did it actually pulled the sensor body off the sensor.

Its not leaking oil where it broke or anything but will need replaced. I have no choice but to drive it . I understand that when unplugged it actually sets a default setting in PCM and can remain driveable. I noticed that it actually runs pretty good going down the road. The only problem its that the transmission is shifting extremely hard. 1-2 is hard. 2-3 is normal, 3-od is very hard also. Down shifting is the same way. When I pull up to stop sign its like keeping the converter locked for a short time, almost killing engine.

my question is that does the ICP have to do with transmission shifting and converter lockup? Excuse my ignorance

thanks,
kyle

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I am reasonably certain that with the values it's setting that the torque tables will be messed up a little. Just get a new sensor. If that fixes your issues, then you know! :D

DIE5EL

Reaction score
haha yeah I got to replace it Im just trying to find a better than the dealership price...gosh these are salty! :jawdrop:

DIE5EL

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help. I replaced with a new one. Fwiw, it did cure all the transmission shifting problems. Also fixed the Torque converter problem as well. I guess with that sensor not reading correct PSI it messes with alot more than I expected. Still would like to know why if anybody could explain it to me why the Transmission is affected that much.

Thanks,
kyle

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
It's because there is a default value input into the PCM whenever the ICP sensor isn't working. Therefore, I ASSUME it puts all of the tables for the transmission shifting into a sort of "limp mode". The hard shifts are probably from increase line pressure to prevent the trans from under-applying the shifts and causing problems.

As for the TC. I'm not sure on that.

Latest posts

Members online