Idi turbo vs. Psd

MINK

Reaction score
Speaking of working 5 jobs to support the cost...

That's what you don't do with a 7.3 in a real working environment, however, the non "outdated pos" engines that came after the 7.3 sure do seem to take a lot of money just to stay on the road at their stock power level.

As I've said before, the proof is in the pudding. You've got a 16,000lb backhoe sitting on a goosneck trailer and three trucks to the side of it. A 7.3 powerstroke, a 6.0L powerstroke and a 6.4L powerstroke.

A man holding a gun to your head tells you he will ride with you from coast to coast and if the truck stops for any reason other than fuel he will blow your brains across the cab.

Which truck do you pick smart ass? If you pick anything other than the 7.3... you're simply a moron.

Always so single minded.....

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
7.3 PSD's are an outdated piece of sh*t engine, they should all be melted down and turned into toxic happy meal toys, their stock power level is laughable at best, and they cost too much to build, anyone with a built 7.3 PSD is obviously working 5 jobs just to support the cost.

Get with the times.

:bs::stupid:

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
I dont care what an idi can make or is capable of. At the end of the day i'll take the easy smooth power from my psd and enjoy it from the comfort of my super duty interior. If you have strong convictions or a serious sentimental attachment to an idi, then by all means make it roar. But aside from that i just dont see the allure of modding an idi. Its not me hating on old trucks either, i drive a'76 f100 to work everyday. Non power brakes, manual steering and three on the tree and no a/c about as simple as you can get. Its fun to drive.

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
Always so single minded.....

Statistics. Check your local dictionary for the meaning.

You have clearly forgotten the time when you bought a truck and it was a RARITY to EVER be at the dealer for ANY reason afterward. And back when lifting the ENTIRE CAB And FRONT CLIP off of your BRAND NEW pickup was grounds for the dealer buying that POS back from you because it's OBVIOUSLY FUBAR...

Now these things are 100% commonplace thanks to all the "better" engines since the lowly 7.3 PSD.

A truck back in say 2000 with a list of warranty repairs that half the newer trucks incur in the first 100,000 miles since the 2004 model year would have been a LEMON!

Now it's just business as usual. Replace your radiator, injectors, fuel rails, entire engines and the like..... not ever so often... but REGULARLY.

Those sorts of things are REGULAR occurrences at the dealerships since mid 2003 when the "better" engines made their first debut.

I'm not single minded. There are better engines out there than a lowly 7.3. Ford just hasn't chosen any of them for a pickup truck.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
I'm not, Fred Flintstone, so I wouldn't drive anything less than a 6.4

28254694.jpg

Charles

Reaction score
I'm not, Fred Flintstone, so I wouldn't drive anything less than a 6.4

The only engine mentioned in this thread that is less desirable than a 6.4 is the IDI in question and obviously the epic failure we know as the 6oh that the 6.4 was later spawned from.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
What's better than a 7.3 with a windowed block?

Two 7.3's with windowed blocks.

I won't even make up a comeback because I love 6.4's. But your logic against 7.3s is retarded. LOL You obviously got bitten by the "6.4 nut swinger bug"

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
LOL thats true! Good thing im not trying to be the best. Good thing im not driving the worst either! Could be worse, could be an idi!

Charles

Reaction score
I guess everybody forgets that Ford trucks with things like white smoke poofing out the tailpipes and coolant fogging out the degas bottles, sitting on the sides of the road hooked to every trailer configuration known to man were simply not things you OFTEN saw on the roads pre-2003.

The "better" engines in Ford trucks since the 7.3 have probably done more for Dodge and Chevy pickup sales than all their marketing and design efforts combined.

Between 1994 and 2003 you had companies flocking to all Ford light diesel fleets. From 2003 onward you had those same companies retreating to Dodge, Chevy and gasser options in mass, licking their wounds.

Charles

Reaction score
The 6.4 is a good longblock. Damn good... except for the bonehead headbolt quantity of course.... but they hold regardless.

But the MORONIC sh*t added to that engine due to EPA mandates RUINS it in terms of actually being a rock-solid platform to WORK, out in the field, truck after truck, day after day. The solidity simply isn't there. One truck will be fine, while 6 others have constant bs problems keeping them from doing any work for days at a time. This has been a plague since mid 2003 when the first EPA mandated exhaust treatment systems were instituted.

Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is that while the newer engines can be good, and can work hard every day, year after year, there is an unfortunately much higher incidence of failure in the field.

For most people working a truck downtime is a big time problem. Repeated downtime is simply unacceptable.

Repeated downtime has become commonplace post 7.3 powerstroke.

Seriously.

Latest posts

Members online