Idle with 160/30 Injectors

neverkickn

Reaction score
Sounds like tuning to me, or tire pressure. Hard to tell for sure, but if you air up your tires and the problem persists, then you should consider looking at tuning.

darkside708

Reaction score

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Mine seems to idle a little bit rough for my liking after driving for 1 or more hours on the highway. Runs great, just seems a little choppy similar to the video "The Brad" posted. It's never bothered me enough to look for a fix though, so it may not be as bad as some of the others commenting in this thread. I also have 160/30's.

The Brad

Reaction score
I have a Banks muffler on it. It doesn't always idle that rough, but when it does, #7 Perdel creeps up over 2.5%. I have a new stick to put in, but I'm gonna move it to #1 first and see if the Perdel follows it. I've identified 2 other sticks this way and the idle is much better than when I started.

txltr450

Reaction score
I read through the thread also. A lot of what they were describing sounded just like mine before the tweaked tuning. Idled just like my old drag car with a huge cam in it. Especially when coming down to an idle after romping on it or just driving it and coming to a red light. My truck would shake too.

SledDogg

Reaction score
As a ICP sensor gets old truck idle quality gets worse, especially coming back down to idle. Fuel pressure makes a huge difference as well. My truck became much smoother after I rebuilt my fuel bowl FRP, replaced fuel line fuel sleeves, as a final measure I bought dieselorings.com Aluminum FRP block & springs. I installed the gold spring for 62-67 psi.

Gearhead tunes seem to be choppy as a whole.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
As a ICP sensor gets old truck idle quality gets worse, especially coming back down to idle. Fuel pressure makes a huge difference as well. My truck became much smoother after I rebuilt my fuel bowl FRP, replaced fuel line fuel sleeves, as a final measure I bought dieselorings.com Aluminum FRP block & springs. I installed the gold spring for 62-67 psi.

Gearhead tunes are far from choppy on the many trucks I've heard running them. In my opinion as far as any tuner is concerned, it isn't an easy task getting the idle quality and overall performance spot on the first time you pull the chip out of the mailbox. Not to mention, and its been said time and time again, no two of these trucks seem to run exactly the same even with the same mods.

sootie

Reaction score

WUT!?!?!?

txltr450

Reaction score
Gearhead tunes are far from choppy on the many trucks I've heard running them. In my opinion as far as any tuner is concerned, it isn't an easy task getting the idle quality and overall performance spot on the first time you pull the chip out of the mailbox. Not to mention, and its been said time and time again, no two of these trucks seem to run exactly the same even with the same mods.

I agree that it is difficult to tune a truck through the mail and that no two seem to run the same. I have been really happy with both my Gearhead tunes and, more importantly, with the customer service I have received from Matt. I can't say enough about his service!! I did not want anyone to think I was in any way dissatisfied. Matt said he could rewrite the tunes if I mailed him my chip. I just happen to live 3 hours from him and thought it would be easier to just drive down there. It was well worth the trip. To the OP, hopefully it will turn out to be a minor tuning issue.

mandkole

Reaction score
Ive heard plenty of trucks like the vid. My OBS with the stock injectors were almost like this (it got worse with oil temp rising) and the new ACs were much smoother @ same tuning across the board. This seems likely an ICP management issue, whether its leaking poppets, an ICP sensor (IMO, there's not a lot of gray with those-- they either work or they dont), etc.

The 250/100s idle pretty decent and Bill did spend a little live tuning time on them. IIRC, the idle below is at about 170F oil temp--

th_IMG_0486.jpg

darkside708

Reaction score
Sounds good Joe.

I got a random, possibly dumb question. Can the nut on the end of the IPR create problems if its on too tight?

thuglike

Reaction score
To tight..no. It will bend or break before you over trq it

To loose..yes

The biggest PITA I've seen is actually at the connection itself. The two wires seem to have a way of contacting each other after a while causing all sorts of issues.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my truck....PIS 175/80 injectors, Honey Badger Jr and the rest is in the sig. Truck starts up smooth cold then once warmed up, has the loop/romp at idle. Does the same with Matt's (Gearhead) and Jonathan's (NLTD) tunes.

Waiting on Jonathan to come up to the Northeast for some live tuning.

Billy T.
[email protected]

V-Ref

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my truck....PIS 175/80 injectors, Honey Badger Jr and the rest is in the sig. Truck starts up smooth cold then once warmed up, has the loop/romp at idle. Does the same with Matt's (Gearhead) and Jonathan's (NLTD) tunes.

Waiting on Jonathan to come up to the Northeast for some live tuning.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Billy

Have you looked at oil areation on the dipstick to see if there's a corelation? I've concluded it's not oil temp related on my truck, but areation. I'm not certain if it's LPOP or HPOP generated...but that's my two cents.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.