Idles weird some times

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
So was just sitting at a light for 2-3 minutes and it picked up a weird idle like it was going down 50 rpm then back up. I gave it a little gas to 1,000 rpms and it would still do it. Rail pressure was fluctuating a little but it looked like normal. Could it be my low pressure fuel pump starting to die? What would cause the idle to go up and down like that? Now sitting at home in the drive way it won't do it.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
So was just sitting at a light for 2-3 minutes and it picked up a weird idle like it was going down 50 rpm then back up. I gave it a little gas to 1,000 rpms and it would still do it. Rail pressure was fluctuating a little but it looked like normal. Could it be my low pressure fuel pump starting to die? What would cause the idle to go up and down like that? Now sitting at home in the drive way it won't do it.

I noticed my DRW does this sometimes also, no codes so I never did fix it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Fuel filter need serviced?

Im not being funny either. My buddies truck was doing this goofy thing where the idle would blip. We had a guy with all the software scan it and we checked tons of shti. Truck held rp fine in all tunes. Had him get a filter to see what was in the old one. And after changing it....the idle was glass again. LOL

Just a thought. If you want something easy to check.

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Not a bad idea. Now where to find air dog filters around me tomorrow. I doubt they cross reference to anything.

Fuel filter need serviced?

Im not being funny either. My buddies truck was doing this goofy thing where the idle would blip. We had a guy with all the software scan it and we checked tons of shti. Truck held rp fine in all tunes. Had him get a filter to see what was in the old one. And after changing it....the idle was glass again. LOL

Just a thought. If you want something easy to check.

TD-5

Reaction score
Not a bad idea. Now where to find air dog filters around me tomorrow. I doubt they cross reference to anything.

Primary filter/water separator Airdog WS100 crosses to Baldwin BF1275 & has better filtration than the WS100 ( 20micron nominal vs 140 micron).
Wix #33616 also crosses for the WS100.

Secondary filter FF100-2 , the best cross is the Donaldson PT551315 ( 3 micron @ 99% efficiency B100-3) Some use a Cat cross over but it means a slight modification to the filter base so the filter will fit.

d.evil

Reaction score
On a related note - I noticed that if I let the truck warm up for a few minutes unattended in the morning, the idle will rise to 1000rpm or so. But as soon as I touch the brake to shift to drive, it drops back down to normal. Is this something built in to the software to help the truck warm up? I noticed the exact same thing on my 7.3, but not my 6.7...

sootie

Reaction score
On a related note - I noticed that if I let the truck warm up for a few minutes unattended in the morning, the idle will rise to 1000rpm or so. But as soon as I touch the brake to shift to drive, it drops back down to normal. Is this something built in to the software to help the truck warm up? I noticed the exact same thing on my 7.3, but not my 6.7...

what is the ambient temp when that occurs?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.