IDP, MPD, and Warren - a question for you

01PSD

Reaction score
I did mine to 250 in a 3 step process...letting it rest overnight before the final step to 250. Then rechecked the 250 24hrs. later. I was probably being overly cautious but i don't wanna do this thing again....EVER!

We went 100, 150, 200, 250
Then checked again the next morning

01PSD

Reaction score
I'm pretty anal about everything I do though, so take it with a grain of salt. Last go round the dealer handled it... :badidea:

bboteler

Reaction score
yeah i don't let them touch my truck...EVER, thats who did my truck the first time as well. went out 70k miles later. Needless to say that was a last time for them.

MorganY

Reaction score
so some trucks you plan on having apart 4 times? lol.

No. I have had several trucks come in with studs already, that have BO gaskets, or did not get the heads resurfaced and have head gasket issues again. Depending on how many times the studs have been used, depends on if I reuse them or not.

Some guys on here have their heads off 2-3 times because they end up building a motor, blowing one up, etc. Thats why I said I wouldn't use them past 2-3 torques at 250.

strokin6L

Reaction score
i did my studs nearly 7 years ago with old lube which torque spec use to be 245ft lbs. I had did mine in four steps after talking to Tadd at Elite. He said he does it in four steps...80, 150, 200 then 245. I had all the studs torqued in about an hour. Didn't let them set much between steps. Nearly 7 years later with no issues.

chappy

Reaction score
I did a 250 I think or maybe 275. I can't remember. Pretty sure I've got a warped head but I'll continue to run it. I'm not redoing it and it only shows up under hard use.

RescueF250

Reaction score
I torque any truck to 250 as well and have been for a while, I believe last time i talked to shawn he does his race truck at 300. NO issues here as well.

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
Only 250 now with the new lube. They break at 300 LOL found out the hard way. Every 6L head I bolt on goes to 240-250 with new lube and don't haave issues. Race truck is holding awesome at that

genuineford

Reaction score
I torqued mine to the spec in the arp box. It has been together for over a year now and is beat on every time I drive it. I just have stock injectors and turbo but I tow heavy in the race tune. I see no need to go past arp's instructions.

Mdub707

Reaction score
whats the purpose of over torquing them, arp says 210 is where they should be with the lube, i could see maybe 220, but i have heard of guys going to 285.....

I've asked this numerous times and even though a lot of guys are doing it, no one has any good excuses as to why. Maybe one or two guys had issues at 210, like Ellerton, but I doubt any others have. I'll bet none of them have done the math to back it up either, they're just guessing and going with the "more is better" approach.

They are also telling you how to put them in for slightly raised cylinder pressures, I would say that with the boost levels of some of these trucks that a little extra clamping force for the added cylinder pressure sure as he'll wouldn't hurt

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm guessing they're not basing it off of mods on the truck at all, probably basing it more on the yield strength of the stud if anything. It's not hard to figure out. They certainly couldn't account for every truck out there with different mods.

If you think you're running enough power to justify going way above and beyond what ARP recommends, why not just contact ARP and see what they recommend for your specific setup?

I'm going to point this thread to the ARP rep I've spoken to and see what he says. :)

Mdub707

Reaction score
I sent him an email yesterday, but haven't gotten a response. The last time I talked to him was PSN days, who knows if he even still works there. Maybe I'll try calling later today. I'll keep you guys posted. I did send a link to this thread.

RescueF250

Reaction score
In any manufacture business, no company is gonna produce a product that has the max limit. It would be stupid for a company to send you a product and say 215 is max why because imagine the fail rate they would have. Ill explain it in terms on the different side of things. Now do I know the equation for studs no but let me explain this.

Rope Rescue in the fire dept our rope 1/2 is rated for 9000lb, now we factor our 15:1 safety ratio into it take a guess what we are actually putting on the rope. I would think ARP has somewhat the same concepts as in, what safety ratio is used to figure what max torque is 215 definitly not the max truely we all know that.

Latest posts

Members online