IDS vs. Snap On

jban126_f350

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a really good scanner I know you can't go wrong with ids. Anyone know a good place to purchase an IDS and subscription? Or would some say get a snap on scanner and be one a done. Can snap on scanner do as much to diesels as ids can?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a really good scanner I know you can't go wrong with ids. Anyone know a good place to purchase an IDS and subscription? Or would some say get a snap on scanner and be one a done. Can snap on scanner do as much to diesels as ids can?
ids can perform certain functions that others cant.

live life full throttle

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score

If you are looking for a scanner only for ford.

IDS hands down best scanner for our trucks it has some tests that AE or snap on etc cannot access.

If you want a scanner for all makes and models I would do the snap on.

AE with ford enhanced package is a very good scanner for the diy'er also it gets the job done for me.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If you are looking for a scanner only for ford.

IDS hands down best scanner for our trucks it has some tests that AE or snap on etc cannot access.

If you want a scanner for all makes and models I would do the snap on.

AE with ford enhanced package is a very good scanner for the diy'er also it gets the job done for me.
that's a way better answer.

live life full throttle

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
What can you do with IDS that you can't with the others? I have AE and I'm completely frustrated with it. Was thinking about going with the Snap On

Reaction score
IDS is the best for Ford, hands down. Just like my Tech2/MDI does stuff on the GM that snap on and others can't.

I have the most budget setup for an IDS you can get, $200 laptop from best buy, used VCM from ebay, and a subscription to the software from Ford. Make sure you buy the genuine Ford VCM. The VCM 2 china knock offs stopped working with the latest software updates.

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
IDS is the best for Ford, hands down. Just like my Tech2/MDI does stuff on the GM that snap on and others can't.

I have the most budget setup for an IDS you can get, $200 laptop from best buy, used VCM from ebay, and a subscription to the software from Ford. Make sure you buy the genuine Ford VCM. The VCM 2 china knock offs stopped working with the latest software updates.
What did that set up run you?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

78f100

Reaction score
I had about 2500$ iirc in my ids. From eBay, it's a dealer closeout toughbook, new vcm2, and 1 year subscription. I used ae for a good while, for the price it's hard to beat. Still keep it around for backup.

78f100

Reaction score
Www.motorcraftservice.com, should put you to rotunda for subscription. You can also get it from your ford Comercial parts dealer, it helps them out same price either way. If you buy it from ford they may hook you up with ford installer support password, it has spec to every ford made, it's really nice to have.

jban126_f350

Reaction score
What would you guys get if you were going to work on more than just fords? Snap on scanner? Which one? I want an ids but I'm afraid I'll get one and be screwed when I working on other stuff

Reaction score
What would you guys get if you were going to work on more than just fords? Snap on scanner? Which one? I want an ids but I'm afraid I'll get one and be screwed when I working on other stuff

Snap on is pretty good. My chinese knock off Autel works pretty good too, actually gets into some modules on GM and VW that the Snap On can't. OTC scanners suck.

Currently I have my IDS/VCM, a GM MDI with Tech2Win, an Autel Android-based wireless scan tool, and a $150 Matco code reader for checking OBD monitors.

The thing about the non-OE tools, and I've seen this over and over again, even with the newest Snap On, is that they miss codes. Customers will bring their truck in after some friend with a snap on scanner looked at it, can't find anything, I plug in with my IDS and find 4 codes.

Latest posts

Members online