IH Navistar T444E cam

Gearhead

Reaction score
Good food for thought. I always thought having a compounded 7.3 would be so sweet and now its becoming more and more common and parts are more readily available and tuning seems to be getting easier on them also.

Matt when you say 200% nozzle, what CC injector are you talking 250 or maybe a 300? I don't see(from what I have read on here) a 250/200 injector not being able to do 600 HP on compounds and live tunes running super clean and keep the lag to an extreme minimum. Is that doable?

The CC wouldn't matter in a towing setup... i would just do at least 300 if you ever want to turn it up.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
The smaller 35 would be even more instant-spooling, but wastgate tuning would become very important to keep your drive pressures under control.

True, makes sense.
I figured a WG would be in order if I was to do any compound set up if I wanted to keep drive #'s in check.

Milford

Reaction score
But matt, at what point do you think the drive pressure would be out of control and the turbo would be out of its MAP? I mean a 400/400 tuned right would work but that's only tuning as a DD not an all out race truck. So I guess I am asking overall what HP would be about the max output of this before having to up the high pressure turbo(I think that's what it is, I am still learning about compounds) to a say 38R instead of the 35? That's if you wanted a DD with the ability to go to the track and still touch into the low low 12s or even the high 11s. I hope I am making sense and I don't mean to hijack the thread with these questions.

Pretty much I just think it would be so fun to have a compound setup on a 7.3, I just need to learn more which is why I don't have many post on here. I just read and try to understand and learn. Have not had much of a chance in the past few years to keep myself up to date on the new mods out for our "dinosaurs" that we refuse to get rid of.

Last edited:

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I hope I am making sense and I don't mean to hijack the thread with these questions.

Pretty much I just think it would be so fun to have a compound setup on a 7.3, I just need to learn more which is why I don't have many post on here. I just read and try to understand and learn. Have not had much of a chance in the past few years to keep myself up to date on the new mods out for our "dinosaurs" that we refuse to get rid of.

Turbos weren't my topic as it migrated that way and I'm liking the fact that more ideas and knowledge is getting shared.
There are too many, "what chip should I get" and "look at my 22's on a rusted out pos" bs threads. I hope to read more threads of substance.

I hope Matt and others in the know chime in.

Gearhead

Reaction score
But matt, at what point do you think the drive pressure would be out of control and the turbo would be out of its MAP? I mean a 400/400 tuned right would work but that's only tuning as a DD not an all out race truck. So I guess I am asking overall what HP would be about the max output of this before having to up the high pressure turbo(I think that's what it is, I am still learning about compounds) to a say 38R instead of the 35? That's if you wanted a DD with the ability to go to the track and still touch into the low low 12s or even the high 11s. I hope I am making sense and I don't mean to hijack the thread with these questions.

You ever see the high pressure turbo on a 6.4? You can put a 72mm atmosphere charger on it and make 650 HP and keep the peanut-sized high pressure turbo like ford made it. A 58mm inducer would be about the minimum I would do on a 7.3 high pressure charger.

Milford

Reaction score
Cool. I was just wondering about it all and trying to gain knowledge on the whole compound subject. Would be fun to have. Driven a 5.9 Cummins with compounds that was around 550 at the wheels and it was tons of fun! Now if I could have a 7.3 with that I would be in heaven!

powerlifter405

Reaction score
When I get change over to the 7.3 I'll do compounds unless it just starts to be too much of a hassle. But it can't hurt to try.

Milford

Reaction score
It seems that there is so many people that have done it that it shouldn't be horrible with a good welder(and skill of welding) and being innovative/having the parts needed.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
True, i need to get some gas for my wire welder. After tracking down leaks on my 6.4, I'd like to have as many few connects as possible and to weld what I can.

In time. You can start and see which HP turbo works better :)

Latest posts

Members online