Impressions of the 6.7's

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
I know this is a pretty general question, and I know there has been a few threads about this already, but I am starting to look for a new truck. Most likely I will be buying new, so I guess this would be geared more towards the 15's.

Right now I have a 2006 F250 that spends most of it's life parked in my shop collecting dust. I don't need a truck in my day to day life, but when I do, I really need a truck, both work and play. It is lifted on 37's and just not overly practical for me to drive everyday, not to mention it isn't the most comfortable ride (yes, I understand it is a 3/4 ton truck), and I can barely get better than 12mpg on a good day. For that reason I also have a 2012 Tahoe that I DD. It is a great truck. It is comfortable and it rides nice, two things I want/need for a DD. But, I only muster about 15 mpg on it, I pay insurance on them because I need both vehicles, and o the maintenance on both. So I am really thinking of trading both in on a new F350 and get the best of both worlds all wrapped into one. Both trucks are paid for, which is part of the reason I haven't done anything yet...

For a DD I do want decent mileage, comparable to my Tahoe. Realistically, are you guys with 15's getting anywhere near that in stock form? Is the urea a PITA? This truck will stay stock (I know, famous last words) other than a few bolt on and appearance items. No deletes. :lame:

If I buy, I will end up with a pretty well loaded truck with nut coolers and all (this AZ heat is killer), but is there any interior package/color that you like over another?

Is the ride that much better than my old '06? Will I be anywhere near the comfort of my Tahoe?
What are you guys getting loaded SD's for? Around here they want 58k+ (non-Platinum). I do have an X-plan pin that I can use, but that doesn't seem to take much off the top...I have almost been tempted to take a look at the new Ram. A comparably equipped truck is at least 6k less before haggling! :jawdrop:

Mr.BigOil

Reaction score
Got mine yesterday.
QUIET, SMOOTH, POWERFUL, and comfortable.
It's the best truck money can buy IMO.
Fuel mileage, I don't know yet. I only have 52 miles on the clock, and lots of full throttle runs.:D

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Got mine yesterday.
Fuel mileage, I don't know yet. I only have 52 miles on the clock, and lots of full throttle runs.:D

business must be good !

welcome !

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Got mine yesterday.

Niice...i want one.

Welcome sir!. ;)

Spatel23

Reaction score
with the news of the new 2016 around the corner......it may be worth waiting since you seem more interested in comfort and interior.

Id guess the 2016 will be your winner

Dont get me wrong.........the current ones are no slouch by any means.

The ride is much better and the interior is fkin amazing.

Mileage on the 15s seems to be down from 11-14 trucks. Id GUESS you could muster 15 mpgs combined tops out of it in stock form.

I cant comment on price, I found a leftover 13 after the 14s came out and paid cash with huge rebates since it was a leftover. Got lucky and found exactly what I wanted in Texas.

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
with the news of the new 2016 around the corner......it may be worth waiting since you seem more interested in comfort and interior.

Id guess the 2016 will be your winner

Dont get me wrong.........the current ones are no slouch by any means.

The ride is much better and the interior is fkin amazing.

Mileage on the 15s seems to be down from 11-14 trucks. Id GUESS you could muster 15 mpgs combined tops out of it in stock form.

I cant comment on price, I found a leftover 13 after the 14s came out and paid cash with huge rebates since it was a leftover. Got lucky and found exactly what I wanted in Texas.

if only i could have farted on the drivers seat ebfore you . ;(

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I feel like my 2012 is much more comfortable than my 2008 was. I'm a big fan of the direction Ford has headed with the Super Duty. Plus the 6.7L is an awesome platform.

Mr.BigOil

Reaction score
Well, moving forward from two twin turbo 7.3's, this 15 is impressive.
Even though power is less, comfort makes up for it. The test will be towing the 41 ft Weekend Warrior.

BigR, yes business is very good.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Is there any legit articles about the '16's? I have seen a lot of speculation. The article about the one that burned down looks like aluminum body panels, but I have seen a couple cloaked ones around their favorite proving grounds in the Mohave Desert this summer and to me it doesn't look like a major makeover at all, possibly just a new material for the panels.

Are there any other major changes expected?

Spatel23

Reaction score
Have you read the 2 threads in the General Discussion forum ?

Thats where I got the info I have.....looks like a major interior change and a mega cabish option.

Jrnav1388

Reaction score
I know My 2014 platinum was riding as smooth or smoother than my wife's Yukon Denali before I lifted it and in my opinion still rides awesome most I was getting was 15mpg before I lifted it and compared to an & 2006 wich I also have experience with my brother has a 06 lifted f-350 no comparison in ride and interior the new super dutys have everything you need for comfort and DD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NotQuik

Reaction score
Came from an 06 myself, not much comparison in comfort between the two IMO. Go drive one for yourself and go from there if you haven't already.

Looks like mid 50's for a loaded '15 lariat on ebay...seems most are located in Texas.

jimmystoys

Reaction score
Well I came from an 05 F350. Haven't got enough time here to tell you all the troubles I had with it....but still a Ford die hard! Anyways, soon as I picked up my 2012 King Ranch.... holy shet! Like some guys have posted here, smooth, powerful and quiet! I tell you it is nite and day over my '05! My wife has a X3 BMW and we never take it out cuz we enjoy the truck so much lol! I just can't believe how Ford is going to top this 6.7!?!?:ford::toast:

Dantron

Reaction score
There are Platinum Editions in the low 50's here in Texas. It would be a shame to leave the emissions on one though...

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Well I did go out and test drive a new Ram 2500 Mega the other day. I have to say, Ram has come a long way with the interiors. The truck was very comfortable and the new coil rear suspension rode amazingly smooth and almost didn't feel like a 3/4 ton. But, overall the truck seemed really sluggish off the line. In reading the forums, I guess Ram added a ton of torque management to the new trucks and with the 3.42 gears it shows. On the freeway it rode nice and cruised at 70 at a crazy low 1200 rpm, which I am sure helps to get the 20+ mpg that they are capable of.

I have driven a few 11+ Fords and they ride much better than my 06. If the aluminum body is for real, I wonder what will change for the suspension. They can't expect to cut that kind of weight and not tweak the suspension. Could make for a rougher ride if not! I'm not sure if I can wait for the 2016's to hit the lots. Even if Ford stays on the same early roll=out schedule, we are looking at what, 9 months away?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Well I did go out and test drive a new Ram 2500 Mega the other day. I have to say, Ram has come a long way with the interiors. The truck was very comfortable and the new coil rear suspension rode amazingly smooth and almost didn't feel like a 3/4 ton. But, overall the truck seemed really sluggish off the line. In reading the forums, I guess Ram added a ton of torque management to the new trucks and with the 3.42 gears it shows. On the freeway it rode nice and cruised at 70 at a crazy low 1200 rpm, which I am sure helps to get the 20+ mpg that they are capable of.

I have driven a few 11+ Fords and they ride much better than my 06. If the aluminum body is for real, I wonder what will change for the suspension. They can't expect to cut that kind of weight and not tweak the suspension. Could make for a rougher ride if not! I'm not sure if I can wait for the 2016's to hit the lots. Even if Ford stays on the same early roll=out schedule, we are looking at what, 9 months away?

prolly closer to a year unless they do a mid year like this past release. also gotta assume all the spring rates will change slightly.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
They have been on that mid year kick since the '11's though haven't they?

11's were a VERY long run.

I bought a 2011 in mid 2010, and then still a 2011 brand new in may 2011.

Think our 12 showed up in mid November. Every once in a while they make a long run, i wouldn't doubt they do this on 15 since 16 is going to be such a drastic change supposedly.

Then again, I wouldn't be the slightest bit suprised if Fords revision is actually in 2017, because they NEVER do runs in 1 year increments.. Just saying.. always 2's or 3's

Latest posts

Members online