In-Dash DVD Hook-Up?

imelmo

Reaction score
So I bit the bullet today and went ahead and got me a new radio for the '03. It's a Pioneer AVH-P4400BH. Got the wiring kit and Metra(?) install kit for it too. Probably gonna put it in tomorrow.

So my question is how do I hook it up so that I can use the dvd player anytime?

Seems like it's something different for every radio/vehicle.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Danny, there is a ground wire you dont have to hook up. My cousin installed mine. I asked him how i can watch anytime, he pointed to the ground wire and said, disconnect that, so i did. Whichever wire controls the ground for the DVD player, just dont hook it up

dirtboy25

Reaction score
I've done this a dozen times and I can't remember for the life of me. :fustrate:

There is a wire that is supposed to hook up to your e-brake. I've put a switch in line to trip the signal before but that was a hassle. This go around I did something different and much easier and the DVD function works as soon as you turn the key on.

Give me a minute and I'll remember. I'm sure somebody else will beat me though.

alwil

Reaction score
I just installed a JVC double din and the wire was marked e brake and for the DVD to work anytime it had to be constantly grounded.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

dirtboy25

Reaction score
I just installed a JVC double din and the wire was marked e brake and for the DVD to work anytime it had to be constantly grounded.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Tru... But don't be dissapointed if this doesn't work. This does not work on some of the newer/higher end models.

Like I said earlier, I have done them by just grounding and with a switch. I had a clarion that needed an alternating power/ground signal for the dvd funtion to work, and for that I had to use a switch. It was a f'd up ordeal.

IIRC the e-brake switch is hot and then turns to ground when you apply the e-brake and when it hits ground you have a signal for the dvd funtion. Some units need that hot then ground signal to work.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
For my Pioneer DVD player (forgot the model) I hooked up a switch under the dash. It's a simple ground really. Except mine you have to switch it on-off-on for it to work. Different models want different ways though.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
There's a special relay that will delay grounding until after the power is on. That is what it needs. The wire needs to see ground after the acc power comes on.

outacntrl

Reaction score
On my Kenwood I ran the e-brake wire straight to ground and it works all the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You need to check though Danny. Yours may be fine just grounding the E brake wire. I used to just connect it and the Black ground.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
They are catching on and making it harder to bypass.

I think what Jeret said is a surefire way to bypass it that way you don't have to try multiple things.

Last edited:

AKHILF

Reaction score
Yep relay is the best way to do it. The pioneers have to switch off-on to work and the relay will do that for you. I did the switch because I didnt know of the relay. And I only use it once in a blue moon so the switch is fine for me and its behind the dash where I can get to and you cant see it.

mudslinger02

Reaction score
I just put that same dvd player in my truck 2 weeks ago. I just used a extra relay I had laying around the garage and took power from the remote wire to kick the relay on since the remote comes on after the deck. Only problem you will run into is the metra kit does not fit the AVH-4400. I had to cut the top and bottom pieces of the trim ring off and just use the sides. It came out pretty good tho

Last edited:

imelmo

Reaction score
Only problem you will run into is the metra kit does not fit the AVH-4400. I had to cut the top and bottom pieces of the trim ring off and just use the sides. It came out pretty good tho

That's what it said to do in the kit I got actually. Pretty sure it's a Metra. I trimmed it with my air dremel and it went in just fine. I haven't put the it on yet though so I can pull it out easily when the amps and stuff get here next week. :D

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I know this is a old thread but check out avic411.com that's where I go all the install info and tips and tricks for my pioner z3 in dash unit

Cody

Reaction score
Like stated before I know this is an old thread... but anyways I have a pioneer avic 930bt and i had to move a pin in the back of one of the block connectors to get my bypass, as stated by others newer models are getting harder and harder to bypass, on my old HU in my old truck it was as simple as grounding the parking wire.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.