Industrial Single Turbo

doo dah

Reaction score
So I have had the SCT tuner with GH tunes for a day now and what a difference over the Torque Tech tuner! Much better shifts and overall drivability is 100% better than before. As far as the turbo goes it is a beast and runs to 37lbs quickly at which point the TC light is flashing like crazy. I have only run the tow tune so I can't wait to try the hottest tune (I assume that is race?) and get a better feel for any fuel limitations. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions for MPD, Midwest, H&S, etc...but the shop that did the install has a good relationship with Industrial and they were the one installing it, I'm not disappointed at all. Glad I called No Limit and they hooked me up on the tuner and CST2, I still can't believe what a difference a tuner can make! There is some lag but not horrible, I think it could be overcome with tuning. I'm dragging the TT to Santa Fe tomorrow and will spend 4 days total on the road over the next 7 so I should have plenty of data logged and more feedback when I get back. Might have to get the H&S LPFP and dual fueling from No Limit to satisfy the craving for more power!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So I have had the SCT tuner with GH tunes for a day now and what a difference over the Torque Tech tuner! Much better shifts and overall drivability is 100% better than before. As far as the turbo goes it is a beast and runs to 37lbs quickly at which point the TC light is flashing like crazy. I have only run the tow tune so I can't wait to try the hottest tune (I assume that is race?) and get a better feel for any fuel limitations. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions for MPD, Midwest, H&S, etc...but the shop that did the install has a good relationship with Industrial and they were the one installing it, I'm not disappointed at all. Glad I called No Limit and they hooked me up on the tuner and CST2, I still can't believe what a difference a tuner can make! There is some lag but not horrible, I think it could be overcome with tuning. I'm dragging the TT to Santa Fe tomorrow and will spend 4 days total on the road over the next 7 so I should have plenty of data logged and more feedback when I get back. Might have to get the H&S LPFP and dual fueling from No Limit to satisfy the craving for more power!

glad you're happy buddy !! enjoy and hit me up when you ready !

doo dah

Reaction score
Just got back from a 1600 mile round trip pulling my TT from 900' south Texas elevation up to 10k foot Santa Fe mountain elevations and have some thoughts for those considering VGT vs non VGT. I would have preferred VGT hands down. every time the boost dropped below 5 lbs the trans would downshift to 5th to keep boost up which resulted in 98% of the trip being made in 5th with 15lbs of boost at 2200 rpm, got 8.5 mpg for the round trip. The turbo didn't like altitude that much, not sure if more fuel would help or a different tune? When boost came on it was ridiculous, I'd hit 36lbs and watch out! We were going 85-90 in 5th and 11k pounds behind us. Fun for a second but gets old after the first 500 miles or so. I'll get some in town miles this week on a hotter tune and see how it goes, not ready to call No Limit for a big VGT yet but if things are the same towing to the beach this summer I'll swap. I only tow the TT about 5-6k miles a year but that is 25% of my total driving so hopefully the other 75% is bad a**.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Just got back from a 1600 mile round trip pulling my TT from 900' south Texas elevation up to 10k foot Santa Fe mountain elevations and have some thoughts for those considering VGT vs non VGT. I would have preferred VGT hands down. every time the boost dropped below 5 lbs the trans would downshift to 5th to keep boost up which resulted in 98% of the trip being made in 5th with 15lbs of boost at 2200 rpm, got 8.5 mpg for the round trip. The turbo didn't like altitude that much, not sure if more fuel would help or a different tune? When boost came on it was ridiculous, I'd hit 36lbs and watch out! We were going 85-90 in 5th and 11k pounds behind us. Fun for a second but gets old after the first 500 miles or so. I'll get some in town miles this week on a hotter tune and see how it goes, not ready to call No Limit for a big VGT yet but if things are the same towing to the beach this summer I'll swap. I only tow the TT about 5-6k miles a year but that is 25% of my total driving so hopefully the other 75% is bad a**.

i would just like to thank you for a very well written, honest report. these turbo setups all have their plus and minus . hopefully the 75% is a payoff .

as for fuel, more fuel will only make it worse for what this situation called for.

doo dah

Reaction score
Sure. I think in a purpose built truck the way boost comes on is phenomenal and induces smiles from ear to ear but in a 350 4x4 long bed on 37s that is DD and tow rig it is a real pain to have to play with the pedal constantly while towing. On the street with the race tune, no problems other than the lag. It's like you have to anticipate when you want to accelerate, otherwise the truck falls on its face before it flies like it was shot from a cannon. Again, fun when it finally spools up but no fun when you need immediate power. This set up makes me want it in a single cab fun truck that would be more race than street. I've only had the turbo on for a couple weeks and most of that on tow tune so I'll run around on the race tune for the next week and report back.

Baker42

Reaction score

Im in NM and tow often, thats why I sent the 369SXE back for the 364.5. After hearing your testimony, I'm glad I did. Bigger is not always better.

Last edited by a moderator:

doo dah

Reaction score
Spent the last 2 days running around on the race tune from GH and the truck is a real screamer when the boost comes on. Drives completely different compared to the tow tune and towing the TT. It is actually very fun and flat out hauls the mail for the size truck it is. Mileage so far is around 13 all in town and heavy pedal which is close to what I was getting with just the torque tech tuner alone. Still a few 1-2 shifts and 3-2 downshift issues but they are intermittent so hopefully it will get are consistent over time. Full throttle from 3rd through 5th gets EGT around 1050 and I hit 100 so fast I don't have room for 6th gear before having to shut it down. I'm real happy with how it performs unloaded.

50_shooter

Reaction score
What size is that turbo? I had a 64 that performed similar to what you described, but moved up to a 68 and MY truck became more drive able. Smoother powerband, less lag, until you up the PW. Tows really well turned down, but still is real strong. The 64 was much more violent IMO.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
What size is that turbo? I had a 64 that performed similar to what you described, but moved up to a 68 and MY truck became more drive able. Smoother powerband, less lag, until you up the PW. Tows really well turned down, but still is real strong. The 64 was much more violent IMO.

yeah probably because your turbo is ball bearing, and most likely a little tighter on the turbine side. both those things can make a huge difference in drivability . just my guess.

doo dah

Reaction score
It's a 63/68/14 wastegated. Industrial calls it their Viper series turbo and claims factory drivability which is close when daily driving but not towing. I do have to say that all my towing prior to our New Mexico trip was in South Texas at low elevation and no real grades so I don't have a true before and after experience. I do think that the nature of the VGT and having quicker spooling without needing 2k+ rpm would be more pleasurable to drive in that situation. That being said the power difference it very noticeable once boost comes on and it does move from 10 lbs up to max boost around 37 lbs in a few seconds. I still think the tuning needs a little tweak, especially with the transmission but there is very little smoke so timing and fuel seem optimized for factory pumps. I have a shop nearby with a dyno so I'm going to make a few pulls to see where it is at and decide then if fuel upgrades are in order. Horsepower is an addiction that can end in disaster if I'm not careful. :gun:

doo dah

Reaction score
A few pics

Attachments

• IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0994.jpg
    IMG_0994.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    880 KB · Views: 85

Profuzz

Reaction score
4.30 / 37 " would be great tow combo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

doo dah

Reaction score
Looks nice

I gotta ask. You've got 37's. Did you maintain stock gears?

That truck with a 4.10/4.30 would probably do everything you want it to with better mileage and be able to use 6th gear

It has stock 4.10s. Hadn't considered changing gear sets yet. We'll tow a ton over the summer here in south Texas and if I'm running into the same issues I may change them.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
It has stock 4.10s. Hadn't considered changing gear sets yet. We'll tow a ton over the summer here in south Texas and if I'm running into the same issues I may change them.

it's got 3:55's brutha .

doo dah

Reaction score
Sounds from the non-VGT. Working with Luke @ No Limit to get the trans tuning perfected and thinking I may have to go to 4:30s or 4:56s to get this thing driving like it should. Lots of power but comes on at all the wrong times in daily driving. Although it is kind of fun to watch the faces as I pass them once turbo is spooled and fueled.
https://youtu.be/KrgSo_ihK64

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.