Infamous Wrench Light?

08sixfour12

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the forum and the powerstroke world... As I was a duramax owner for the past 4 years I have no idea why there is a wrench light coming on my dash, so hoping you all can help.

After about 45minutes to an hour of driving, the wrench light will come on. I did some research and some people said that your cruise control will disable and you'll have a loss of power and the truck won't run past 30? and I saw that the wrench light could mean numerous things. My cruise control works with this wrench light on, and it doesn't seem like I have a loss of power... However the truck seems gutless to me after having an EFI live tuned duramax so I cant really tell if there's a significant loss of power.

What do you guys suggest this could be? It goes away after I turn the truck off then back on again... Should I just bring it to the dealer when the light comes on and pray to the diesel gods for the best/least expensive issue?

Getting frustrated with this 6.4... I am working on saving up some cash to delete the egr, dpf, get a minimaxx or spartan. Hoping all that will make it better.

Thanks, have a great day!

Chels.

08sixfour12

Reaction score
Chelsey,

Are you noticing any blue smoke or anything out of the tail pipe?

Jared

Nope never!

You'll have an animal once you get it tuned. Ride it out misshd.

I hope so, this truck is pissing me off. My heater core is also plugged up (apparently) which is why I have minimal heat inside the cab and my buddy whos a ford tech said that because of that my oil cooler is also plugged... but temps are fine. Damnit ford.

Pull the codes and let us know what they are

Will the Ford dealer charge me to pull the codes? haha. I will for sure though

Thanks everyone

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Hey Chelseyh, all of this crap sucks. But if you delete it sooo many problems are avoided. Its crazy how much crap is on these trucks anymore, but once deleted these trucks make crazy power and are reliable. Just stick with it, it will all work out!:thumbsup:

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Depending on your relationship with the dealer, they may not. Many people use AE to pull codes also, but it is a couple hundred dollars.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
pulling codes should be pretty easy even autozone could probably pull enough to get you an idea whats going on, or someone with a minimax or spartan can do it as well if you know someone, without codes we cant help much

08sixfour12

Reaction score
Update for ya'll, pulled the codes, there were two codes that were causing the wrench light, both were DPF codes.

I know I need to delete all this crap however the shop that certified and did the safety on my truck billed me $5,400 so no deletes any time soon for this gal. FML

sootie

Reaction score
i feel your pain but seriously, it is costing you more to leave the dpf on that the cost to delete it.

08sixfour12

Reaction score
i feel your pain but seriously, it is costing you more to leave the dpf on that the cost to delete it.

I know, I know, I just want to do everything in one shot though, EGR delete, DPF delete, and tuner. Just gotta clear up one visa card then I'm good to go. Should have er' all done soon... maybe by summer.

RedRice589

Reaction score
Just buy a delete pipe and get it off. All the other crap can wait. Just do it. No reason to do all the rest. Some $32 block off plates on the egr and a $100 delete pipe and g2g. Trust me.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Well you still need the tuner or else the truck ain't going to move. But you can pick up a LW in the classifieds relatively cheap.

03silvertj

Reaction score
Do the delete. You don't need a extensive exhaust system, and can deal with the factory intake on the lower performance tunes.

JrStroker

Reaction score
You can delete and tune it for $800-$900 if you play your cards right. The most expensive part is the tuners. Look for a SCT for now, they go for $700-$900 in the classifieds. You could be lucky and get yours cheap, got mine for $600. A buddy helped me out. Slap a delete pipe on it and run with the wind.

Then save up to get a NO LIMIT intake, full exhaust, and custom tunes for the SCT.

Cory Anderson

Latest posts

Members online