Injection pump on the way out??

jkidd_39

Reaction score
I am dropping RP bad towing home today.

2008 F-450 elite studs, Egr blockoffs, S&B intake, dpf gone, KEM 210TP, 130k miles, 20k on brand new shortblock

Pulling 7k trailer with 12k load. 29k gross.

Just changed my fuel filters yesterday.

Ran fine heading to jobsite Tuesday w/ empty gooseneck.

Loaded up and came home. I usually hold 23-25k RP and 35-37# boost up hills. No issues. But now I will dive to 13kRP and it will fall on it's face. If I don't barely throttle up the hill it will slam to 3-5k RP and make some nasty noises.

Also had #8 injector replaced last week under warranty.

Another strange thing. From a stop to go up a hill. I can drive it regularly and go right up fine. But if I'm doing 65 @ 2500 rpm it will drop RP.

And this problem seems intermittent. Some hills I pull fine. Others I die on. Makes me think it's either a bad pump or electrical? Then again every hill is different.

I'm so ready for a 6.7.

Any ideas guys??

Thanks alot for the help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
sounds like what my truck was doing while the framerail pump failed

it wouldnt do it all the time, and then finally it quit for good

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Hmm. What did your replace the framerail pump with? Any way to test the pump strength without a FP gauge?

no you basically have to have a guage to see what its doing, you could feel the power fall off at the same time the supply pressure goes down.

I had an airdog that fed the stock pump and it wouldnt push thru it, i just bypassed the frame rail pump/filter and that fixed it.

Sounds like a good time to do an airdog or another fuel system, i think the frame filter is pretty expensive

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Is the airdog II work happen to be the same for the 6.4 and 6.7?? I might consider an upgrade. But this truck might end up gone pretty soon.

Thanks for the replies guys

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
You will usually get P0087 or P0088 when the HPFP fails or begins showing signs of failure. I didn't see anything about codes, so it's hard to say for sure.

I don't think there is an Air Dog available for the 6.7 yet, but I could be wrong. I do recommend going with an Air Dog though. The benefits of the filtration and water/air separation alone make it worth the money spent.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Alright. Got a little figured. We did not tighten the frame rail filter all the way down. It was about a 1/4" out. We tightened it and rail pressure issues are better.

But now I am seeing a strange, totally random loss of power. It will just happen for 1-2 seconds. Almost feels like an electrical issue.

Any ideas? Electrical? Tranny??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

CamTom12

Reaction score
I do recommend going with an Air Dog though. The benefits of the filtration and water/air separation alone make it worth the money spent.

I've got one on the to-do list just so I don't have to f*ck around with that stupid horizontal filter anymore. Is that really the best place to run a wire bundle? In front of a filter that needs regular changing? Come on, engineers...

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Alright. Got a little figured. We did not tighten the frame rail filter all the way down. It was about a 1/4" out. We tightened it and rail pressure issues are better.

But now I am seeing a strange, totally random loss of power. It will just happen for 1-2 seconds. Almost feels like an electrical issue.

Any ideas? Electrical? Tranny??

Any codes? What does rail pressure do when the power drops? What about injector pulse width?

jkidd_39

Reaction score
No codes. Rail pressure doesn't move. I sit at 5-6k @ idle. 16-21k @ 75mph 2500rpm.

I'll set up for injector pulse width on my DD. What are my regulars at 70-75mph on PW??

Dzchey21

Reaction score
No codes. Rail pressure doesn't move. I sit at 5-6k @ idle. 16-21k @ 75mph 2500rpm.

I'll set up for injector pulse width on my DD. What are my regulars at 70-75mph on PW??

Don't really know but it should be fairly stable. 612-1000 i would say is normal crusing . When the power drops watch for a pw drop. You can do the same with timing too.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Had the gooseneck on today. (7200lbs)

Could make the RP drop still. Injector pulse width was staying right around 440-480. Seems very low. I could give it pedal and get it to 600s buy it would drop back the the 400s pretty fast.

I got a brand new FoMoCo fuel pump in the truck. We will swap it out tomorrow and see if that fixes it

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Figured it out.. fuel pump was funky.. not the good kind either.. I figured a fuel pump is either good or bad..

changed it out.. works like a champ..

Jake

Reaction score
This sounds pretty much like what I am going through on a buddies truck. Were looking at the LP pump first. I was thinking the brushes are not making good contact anymore. Of course I go up there since it did it to them the last two days and I get there and it wont do it!!

Latest posts

Members online