injector capability, tuning stand point

Charles

Reaction score
You have anything for 300% nozzles? I want to go.with 200s on my 275s but to run compounds I think the additional fuel a 300 provides could be of great use. Or maybe I should stick to 200%. Ill never go bigger on injector so the 400% nozzle is out of the question.

I have all the programs that I ran with the 300's. I towed up around 30,000lbs gross no problem in a file that pulled 633 on Dunbar's with the 300/300's.

Surely you could fine tune a program like that to suit.

Charles

Reaction score
Second problem.... all the different freakin PCM DPC codes. Nobody with an auto PCM will be able to run any of my files without cutting and pasting. And that almost always leads to people not getting pertinent info in the crossover and the program not working as intended. All parameters, functions and maps must be transferred over together for a program to work as intended.

That's a roadblock...

TyCorr

Reaction score
So you.couldnt simply transfer the information into a different file with appropriate code and transmission strategy? I dont have minotaur so Im not exactly sure how that applies.

Disregard, I just fully understood what you said. Hmm? That is a bit of a jam.

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
This thread is.NOT dying.

Well Garebear decided to completely ignore the whole thing, so that tells me if you want some file sharing you better host it on another server.

Seems like the people that want the files sit down and write them and the ones who bitch about big nozzles don't actually care enough to set up a place to store files.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Charles I'm in. Granted I just started this whole self tuning stuff, but it would bring our engines up to speed with most other diesels.

We can get around the sponsor BS by instead of posting to a server simply open a section on the forum for self tuners where we can openly talk about our own techniques. Then if we have someone that needs help they can post a request and get multiple emails from people with "base" files for these "bigger" "huge" or "finicky" injectors. It wouldn't be "publicly" available but would facilitate sharing of knowledge.

Like you said, these wouldn't kill business because not everyone is going to run out and purchase minotaur or other editing programs so the "professionals" will still be able to get their money. Also we could limit it to say 200% and bigger nozzles or one off custom injectors. That way the tuners still have the stock injector and smaller area to make their money (and let's face it this is the majority of their customers anyways) but those who don't run bigger injectors and nozzles only because they don't want to deal with the hassle of tuning would be able to run those injectors with a bit more confidence. They could "try" different files, figure out what they like and don't like, then email these files to "professionals" for combination and fine tuning to their personal tweaks. The database would grow, and it would lead to vast jumps in understanding and technology of these rigs. Not to mention it wouldn't cross copyright infringement because all the "base" files would be generated by private parties and not for resale unless they have been touched by professionals. I'm sure there's a way to tag professionals tuners so that people would be able to trace professionals tunes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Shaw

Reaction score
We can get around the sponsor BS by instead of posting to a server simply open a section on the forum for self tuners where we can openly talk about our own techniques.

We used to have one, on this site or at nation (I can't remember) but it disappeared after awhile.

Look at this thread

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19267

A few of us posted screen shots and were trying to explain some things, but it seems people just didn't want to know, didn't understand, or just plain scared.

For the most part I think the majority of people don't want to learn how to do it. They would rather pay someone or just use the ones people would post up if we decide to do that.

Anyways, saying that I would be game to do what Charles is saying, but I think it could lead to trouble if people didn't have a base understanding on how the programing works.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
We used to have one, on this site or at nation (I can't remember) but it disappeared after awhile.

Look at this thread

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19267

A few of us posted screen shots and were trying to explain some things, but it seems people just didn't want to know, didn't understand, or just plain scared.

For the most part I think the majority of people don't want to learn how to do it. They would rather pay someone or just use the ones people would post up if we decide to do that.

Anyways, saying that I would be game to do what Charles is saying, but I think it could lead to trouble if people didn't have a base understanding on how the programing works.

^^^ this.. I'm all for People posting there big nozzle tunes but I hate to see someone get a tune and give it every timming adder they could and blowing it up or something Rediculous.

2000wa250

Reaction score
It would all be at your own risk. It all is anyways so why worry about that?

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
It would all be at your own risk. It all is anyways so why worry about that?

I'm not worried about it i could care less... Just would hate to see someone going around bashing someone's tunes when it's there own fault. If you get what I'm sayin?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I'm not worried about it i could care less... Just would hate to see someone going around bashing someone's tunes when it's there own fault. If you get what I'm sayin?

Just to clarify...

If your buying tunes from a vendor you make the assumption this person knows what the hell they are doing...

If you are file sharing from joeblow down the street you are taking that liability.

Example, Curtis sends me some cool as hell tune and I load it up and go, and pop goes a head gasket... Well It was a good ride.

TUNER X sells me a PMR safe tune and 100 miles down the road a rod says hello... I'm going to have some serious questions about the tuning, more so if there are 15 other trucks out there with the same issue...

Just sayin...

Last edited by a moderator:

2000wa250

Reaction score
Joe you have blamed dp for blowing engines for years now, how would this situation be any different?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Joe you have blamed dp for blowing engines for years now, how would this situation be any different?

Lets be clear... Its not just me. Some are more vocal, some have let it go and others still call be a prick (most behind closed doors where they feel safe speaking there minds...)

The difference is Charles does not sell himself as the tuning god, just a guy that has tried a few things...

Curtis does not sell himself as a tuning god, just a guy who has tried a few things...

As well with a file sharing system nothing is hidden, nothing is hush hush you dont need to see that, were going to use a different format so you cant even discover the **** we are doing.

Thats the major difference in my mind.

Up until the time that PHP came out with the way to read the chips, the only thing anyone could do is assume that bla bla tuning company knew what the hell they were doing... Little did any of us know that some were running upwards of 60* of timing...

I'm not going to get drug into another one of these battles, but lets be clear on the difference.

2000wa250

Reaction score
I think you took what I was saying wrong. If you are doing things how I suggest, and instead of posting everything up for joe blow to grab at will, if we simply made it possible and easy to send out a request for base tunes, brought the sharing and emailing of personal tunes into the open, it'd be pretty clear what tunes blow what engines.

If someone didn't feel comfortable sending certain people their tunes, there would be no need to. It would maintain some discretion but at the same time open up the community a ton. I'm just not sure about throwing everything up on a file sharing type deal. Too much chance that joe blow will grab a tune that doesn't work with his set up and try it. Imagine all the teens with their first diesel throwing who knows what injectors into their trucks then snagging tunes for the wrong injectors and rolling smoke all over the place...just not the best parameters for safe file sharing.

As for people snagging a tune and modifying it to run all kinds of crazy tuning, would they have to have bought some kind of software to edit them? That would imply they have at least accepted responsibility for their engine. I dunno, either way I would love to see a **** ton more openness and sharing of custom programming in this community. Don't really care whether we make it public or not, I'm more than willing to exchange programs with anyone. Even if I can't edit them its still valuable to look at them and see how different people do different things.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I think you took what I was saying wrong. If you are doing things how I suggest, and instead of posting everything up for joe blow to grab at will, if we simply made it possible and easy to send out a request for base tunes, brought the sharing and emailing of personal tunes into the open, it'd be pretty clear what tunes blow what engines.

If someone didn't feel comfortable sending certain people their tunes, there would be no need to. It would maintain some discretion but at the same time open up the community a ton. I'm just not sure about throwing everything up on a file sharing type deal. Too much chance that joe blow will grab a tune that doesn't work with his set up and try it. Imagine all the teens with their first diesel throwing who knows what injectors into their trucks then snagging tunes for the wrong injectors and rolling smoke all over the place...just not the best parameters for safe file sharing.

As for people snagging a tune and modifying it to run all kinds of crazy tuning, would they have to have bought some kind of software to edit them? That would imply they have at least accepted responsibility for their engine. I dunno, either way I would love to see a **** ton more openness and sharing of custom programming in this community. Don't really care whether we make it public or not, I'm more than willing to exchange programs with anyone. Even if I can't edit them its still valuable to look at them and see how different people do different things.

Its no different then EFI live and crap...

For some reason the Ford guys feel like only people selling tunes are qualified to do it, and then the tuners feel they have to be super secret with there tunes for fear some other tuner will see what there doing.

Why they dont seem to have this issue in the Dodge and Chevy forums as much I dont understand.

2000wa250

Reaction score
We are on the same page then just stating it a bit different. Look at all the Cummings rolling around billowing smoke giving diesels bad images. That's due in part to most of them being able to mess with their fueling. Due to the cost and the risk I think that ford owners, especially 7.3's tend to believe they can't tune. You can, but its a time intensive process.

That being said. Charles I would definitely be interested in taking a look at some of your work and seeing how you've done it. I'll gladly share mine even though it is no where near refined or finished. However I do not want to see any of the tuners go out of business or become obsolete. That's why I feel this file sharing would be better done through emails, let's just bring it out into the open.

fatsix

Reaction score
A quick work around the file share system would be to. Create a new subfolder on the forum for Tuning. Then you could sign up for a personal dropbox account. Host the files on drop box. Create a thread in the Tuning forum and post the links to the downloads as well as directions. Others then can ask specific questions in that thread about the posted tunes. Modify tunes based on modifications then re share them. Basically have your own thread that can be updated, but the MOD would have to remove the time restriction for editing the main post. This way you could modify the download links. Really no different than the way ROMS for phones are shared.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online