Injector circuit low, running rough and smoke, now no run condition

jngreen

Reaction score
This is my friend's 05 6.0 I'm trying to help him fix. He went fishing this weekend, towing his boat, and the truck ran great as always. He then switches tunes with his SCT programmer from his tow file to his street file, and his truck starts acting up. It starts to misfire, run rough, and throw injector circuit low codes (P0261 and P0264) on cylinder number 1 and 2 only. He tried to return back to his tow file, and now the truck won't start. I admit that I am 6.0 "dumb" but I have done a little bit of research in the last hour or so and am thinking it is the FICM, injectors, or wire connectors at the FICM, injectors, or somewhere else in the harness.

Let me know what you guys think, is there anything simple we could look at and test before we tow it to a shop?

Also, not that it really matters, but he took it to Dave's Diesel in Muncie probably a year or two ago and they supposedly replaced the FICM when he was having similar issues. My friend will tow it back there unless we can figure it out ourselves, or can find somewhere better to take it. He lives in Elwood, IN.

jngreen

Reaction score
no love? I'm planning on tearing into it tomorrow. He has a multimeter so we can check FICM voltage. Is there anything else we should look at before it gets towed to the shop?

jngreen

Reaction score
Thanks, do you think we are on the right track? Should a FICM have over 45 volts while cranking, cause this one doesn't.

Derkperk

Reaction score
It should stay 46-47 volts while cranking and running. If it is dropping well below that, I'd start there.

sent using tapatalk because my iPone died

Mdub707

Reaction score
It needs to read 48V under three separate conditions.

1) Key on, engine off
2) cranking
3) running

Ford says 45V minimum. If it's dropping into the 20's or low 30's under ANY of those conditions, it's not right. Needs replacement or repair. If it's a 4 pin unit I'd recommend just getting a half shell from International and doing it yourself, it's quite simple. Anyone with hand tools can do it.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'm buying the entire half shell (which is basically the aluminum case with all new hardware and the power supply) for $141. I used to repair these on the side for $150, it's not even worth me doing anymore. I stopped accepting them because of this. Just tell everyone to buy them there. Price may vary depending on how good your International dealer is. International Part number: 5010598R92

Note, this is ONLY for 4 pin shells. If you have a 7 pin, replacement or repair (hand soldering) is the only option.

My International dealer even has someone deliver the parts to my desk at work for me... I don't even have to move. Just send an email and get one that same day.

jngreen

Reaction score
I'm buying the entire half shell (which is basically the aluminum case with all new hardware and the power supply) for $141. I used to repair these on the side for $150, it's not even worth me doing anymore. I stopped accepting them because of this. Just tell everyone to buy them there. Price may vary depending on how good your International dealer is. International Part number: 5010598R92

Note, this is ONLY for 4 pin shells. If you have a 7 pin, replacement or repair (hand soldering) is the only option.

My International dealer even has someone deliver the parts to my desk at work for me... I don't even have to move. Just send an email and get one that same day.

That's a good deal, my buddy tried to get one from a Case/IH dealer and they told him that it was an active part number, but couldn't get one for some reason. Do you have to buy it from a truck dealer or can you also get one from the tractor/equipment dealers? My buddy may have just talked to a dummy.

jngreen

Reaction score
Prices are all over the board for that part number. I think the best he has found so far, with the part in stock, is $165. One quote was over $200. I haven't been much help, except for the initial diagnosis.

jngreen

Reaction score
FYI, the International half shell fixed the problem. The truck is now running again. Thanks for your help and the part number, Mdub.