Injector 'O' Rings and Glow Plugs

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
So im waiting on my glow plugs and o rings from dieselorings and after searching for a while i couldn't find any real write ups on them just people asking how hard it is and bits of info here and there. Seems like im not the only one who is kinda lost when it comes to this. So I was hoping someone could chime in and let me know what im in for and any little tips or advise that way i could feel alittle more comefortable doing it and do my best at a write up to post here. Thanks
SoCalPsd-Corey

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I'm not sure on injector o-rings, but glow plugs are fairly simple. Remove the intake, and intercooler pipes. Start on the driver side. Its a lot easier. Just unplug the harness and remove the valve covers and the glow plugs are right in there. I takes about an hour I'd say. You may have to remove some other stuff to access the passenger side valve cover, but it's not too complicated.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Swamps has a great writeup.

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/

I'm a proponent of evacuating the cylinders by leaving the GP's out after installing the injectors, putting VC's back on with a couple bolts, leaving injector harness disconnected, and cranking engine to force oil out GP holes. I've done it 4 times now that way and will be doing it again next week. Just talked to a sponsor here and he has done literally dozens that way, and had a hydro lock situation the one time he used a mighty vac at the insistence of the customer. Broken injector nozzles were the result.

lsmith33

Reaction score
:whs: i just did this myself last weekend. the valve covers are 13mm use a 10mm to break the glow plugs loose then use an 11 to get them out ( the 10 will get stuck sometimes against the rods.) if your doin orings as well only take the bottom hold down bolts out which are 8mm then u should be able to slide the hold down over the inside bolt an use a prybar to pop the inj out. jus be careful what u pry against. there are two oil plugs on each side that ya need to pull out to drain oil. they are 1/8 allens if i remember correctly. be very very careful not to strip those out. then reverse for the install. hope this helps ya

CSIPSD

Reaction score
leave the galley plugs in... Its just ridiculous to pull them. Pull the back injectors first, wait for about 30-60 seconds. Then remove the rest. 99% of the oil will drain into the back cylinders.

Its very easy once you get in there.

lsmith33

Reaction score
my bad bout the plugs...thats what i had read an i didnt wanna screw amything up thats why i did it

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
Also what causes sticky injectors, not that i have that problem just curious as to what causes it. And is there any thing i can soak the injectors in or a way of cleaning them?

Tom S

Reaction score
Swamps has a great writeup.

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/

I'm a proponent of evacuating the cylinders by leaving the GP's out after installing the injectors, putting VC's back on with a couple bolts, leaving injector harness disconnected, and cranking engine to force oil out GP holes. I've done it 4 times now that way and will be doing it again next week. Just talked to a sponsor here and he has done literally dozens that way, and had a hydro lock situation the one time he used a mighty vac at the insistence of the customer. Broken injector nozzles were the result.

So are you saying first crank is with the starter or turning the motor over by hand?

I have sucked mine out with an evacuation tool and then done the other step.

Arisley

Reaction score
I usually bar the motor over once by hand. And then bump it over with the starter a couple of times. And then for good measure, I will give it a good 5 or 6 second crank.

Austin

Reaction score
Lol I just went for it and used the starter when I did mine. It's probably a much better idea to do it by hand once first.

Big Bore

Reaction score
So are you saying first crank is with the starter or turning the motor over by hand?

I have sucked mine out with an evacuation tool and then done the other step.

I don't see anything wrong with evacuating first like you are doing, can't hurt.

I do first crank with starter. I know your reservations about that. Ask Marty about that sometime, I just had a conversation with him the other day about this and couple other injector related subjects and he was adamant that after dozens of times doing it that way it's never been an issue. IMO the oil blows out long before TDC where the issue of your concern would occur.

Arisley

Reaction score
Yeah, when I crawled under mine with with my 24" long 1/2 drive ratchet. I was thinking if this beech is to hard to turn over by hand, I am just going to bump it around slowly with the starter. It was surprisingly easy. A 24" 1/2 inch drive ratchet is a handy tool.

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
Alright. So my truck is in pieces in the garage and almost done with this. Just a few more questions. Did any of you guys top off the hpop res and how did you prime the oil rails? Leave the last injector out and bump the motor?

SoCalPsd-Corey

sniper_101

Reaction score
Under valve cover wiring harness unplugged. Cranked for about 10 seconds, sat 1 minute, repeated 3 times. Fired in about 3 seconds after I remember to plug my PCM back in LOL.

At least, that's how I did it. (me = noob)

dietoremain

Reaction score
Alright. So my truck is in pieces in the garage and almost done with this. Just a few more questions. Did any of you guys top off the hpop res and how did you prime the oil rails? Leave the last injector out and bump the motor?

SoCalPsd-Corey

we topped off my buddies hpop res when we did his injectors.. helped it start a lil easier(took awhile to start) she runs great now, got some big sticks in her just waitin for tunes....

Latest posts

Members online