Injector suggestions?

ved0303

Reaction score
Hey guys, my 97 is due for some injectors. I was fairly set on the "baby swamps" but then I talked to a guy who suggested I skip them and go for stage 2s, 160cc. He said he's run both and the stage 2s made the truck run much better/cooler. Since they empty so fast you can shorten the timing window. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm going to do a terminator HPOP too either way. Are there any other mods that would absolutely need to be done for stage 2s? My truck is mostly stock right now; just intake, exhaust and tune.

superpsd

Reaction score
E fuel. The stock mechanical pump will starve anything above a stage 1 injector even less if it's in poor condition. Low fuel pressure equals scored plunger and barrels (injector damage)
Baby swamps are 150cc capacity injectors with stock nozzles. Stage 2 are 160cc injectors with larger nozzles like 80% or 100% larger than stock.

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Also a turbo upgrade would likely be best. I'm sure maybe someone else can jump in and point out a good upgrade for stage 2s.

ved0303

Reaction score
I was thinking about a D66. I would prefer a 38r but it sounds like there are a lot of things that need to be done to make it work on an OBS. Anybody have any thoughts on the D66? and any more input on injector choice?

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
I was about about to buy 160's but didn't. Went with the 238/100.
Easy to tune. Easily daily drivable. Can be ran in a stock truck. Can make impressive power or be tuned down. I ran mine for months on stock oil and fuel. I have efuel taken care of but im still on my stock 15* and stock turbo. I can't say the Hpop is really happy but it's still holding pressure fine. Ide skip the 160's. I'm so glad I didn't bother with them.

superpsd

Reaction score
Most say just go with a T4 turbo setup. The drop in replacements are seen by most as a waste of time from what I have read on here. Most people who do a drop in seem to upgrade to the T4 kits so might as well just get it all done with. Not to mention stock up pipes usually need work after so many miles anyways. Not to mention the cost of non ebpv pedestal and leaky o rings.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
You get rid of the mechanical pump in the valley and use an electric fuel pump in its place.

ved0303

Reaction score
I'm leaning toward the smaller injectors. I want to maintain good towing capability and general reliability on my stock internals.

psduser1

Reaction score
So no HPOP? *SCRATCHING MY HEAD* I'm a bit green?

Lol, you'll still have a hpop. E-fuel refers to electric fuel pump, as opposed to a mechanical fuel pump, which is also in the valley on the obs. Yank that out, throw it away, and wire in a sd pump, or similar, on the frame rail. Some people that take that step also switch to a frame mounted filter setup, instead of the stock fuel filter system, but it's not "required ".
The hpop is at the front of the valley, under the filter bowl. The fuel pump is in the middle of the valley, and runs off a lobe on the cam, like the old style Chevy pumps.

Last edited:

Magnum PD

Reaction score
If you got a SD, getting a regulated return is recommended. That kit regulates the fuel pressure after the injectors have had their fill. Psi is set about 65psi.

Reaction score
Baby's would be fine, but IMHO, at least go 160/30 or better a 160/100 or 175/80, great all around power and tow really cool...

As for turbo, skip the D66 (wish I skipped it) and go t4 with an s366 or BASB, or t4i and a modded H2E

Latest posts

Members online