Injectors are Going...Gimme Feedback!

rosspulliam

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Been reading my little heart out the last 2 days as my injectors are finally starting to give up the ghost. I get a bit of a grey haze out the exhaust when cold, idle has a bit of a shimmy, OEM injectors have 245,000 miles, and one failed last August (which I replaced with a stock one because I was in a jam and needed it running). So I've got 7 245k injectors an 1 pretty much brand new Alliant injector.

So, with that said, before they all start dropping like flies I'm going to plan out my strategy to deal with it. I've been waiting for 15 years for parts to finally wear out so I can replace them with better ones! LOL

Some of my goals:
  • Safe for PMR bottom end, going forged isn't in the cards right now
  • Fun street truck reliable for road travel (family all over the midwest including Denver, so mountains are a given a time or 2 a year)
  • Works with stock/bolt on turbos (planning KC38R either at same time as injectors or as a follow on)
  • I want to maintain my ability to tow, but I have never towed anything terribly heavy, and have no plans to. I'll borrow small utility trailers, occasionally rent a 20' car hauler to move my other project around, hope to someday have a 24' enclosed trailer for the project car, smaller runabout boats (4-6k lbs), RVs (<10,000 lbs). I do not want to be restricted where I can go with any of the above anywhere in the lower 48, Canada, or Alaska.

My mods so far have almost exclusively revolved around cosmetic changes (emblem d*****s, upper cab corner trim d*****, stereo, power fold/telescope mirrors, 2008 rear glass), NVH improvements (interior is fully deadened with Second skin, door seal mod), and longevity (oil bypass filtration, coolant filter, aluminum diff cover, Tymar intake). I do have gauges (pyro, boost, trans temp). I already have a TS 6 pos chip with Dynoproven tunes, but I'm up for a reburn up to and including live tuning from one of the Texas tuners (Tony Wildman is an hour from me).

My transmission is a stock, 245,000 mile trans. I realize that these upgrades will limit it's remaining life. I'm a pretty mellow driver and don't expect that to change even if I have 400 hp available to me. However, when I need to rebuild it, I'll get a quality rebuild.

Knowing what my plans for air are, I'd like to dive into what I see as my prime contenders for injectors:
  • Rosewood Stage 2 160/80s
  • Rosewood 200/30 Hybrids
  • PIS 175/80s
  • PIS 200/80s

Some specific questions on the above:
  1. PIS 175/80s are "Designed to fuel in the higher RPM range than the 175/30% injectors". How much higher? Is it the best option for a PMR motor looking for a safe bump from stock?
  2. PIS 200/80s are "Designed to fuel your 7.3 through the entire RPM band." Does this make them a better choice for my fun street truck that I still want to be able to tow?
  3. Which of the above would require an HPOP upgrade? If I can avoid an HPOP change I will, mine seems to be in good condition and able to maintain ICP under WOT using stock injectors (monitored through my AE).
  4. On the KC38R, I have a DieselSite Turbomaster wastegate control on my stock turbo. With the KC38R I would hook the redline back up to their billet wastegate instead of swapping my Turbomaster over?
  5. I plan to install the full Strictly Diesel RR fuel bowl d***** system if that helps narrow down injector choice (including in tank mods, pre- and post- filtration).
  6. Finally, of these choices, would any be worth running on my stock turbo for awhile, and then upgrade to the KC38R later? Or would I be best to just man up and do injectors/turbo/fuel/exhaust all at once? I presume changing turbos later would facilitate another tuning appointment to take advantage of the combo, making it probably easier to just bite the bullet and do it now?

tl:dr
What is your opinion of the injectors listed above? Good for a 245k PMR motor in good condition, street driven, lowered truck that a guy just has fun in sometimes towing car trailers, ski boats, and small travel trailers? Would you buy a different injector entirely? Which one? RR/fuel bowl d***** AND KC38R AND exhaust mandatory all at once or can it effectively be broken into stages without constantly repaying for tuning?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
It seems everyone who has his 175/80s, needs or wishes they had more HPO. There's no doubt that they work, but you'll need/want more HPO.

Any of those injectors can be detuned to run safely with the stock turbo. There is also right foot control.

Fuel system is a good idea, regulated return isnt 100% necessary at that level, but its not a bad idea. An FRx is usually less than half price (under $200 IIRC), and will suffice from what you are saying your goals are.

I have 238/100s and an appropriately matched turbo. You can hook anything you want to my 6 speed truck (or drive it empty) and just shy of lugging it below 1500 rpms, you can keep it smoke free, and not have the EGTs exceed 1200* in my second hottest tune.

If you go hybrids and promise us you wont ever want more, 200-80s would be just fine, and not require any HPO mods. If you want a safety net for future purposes, 238-80s or 250-80s can perform exactly as the 200s can, its all in the tuning. Also, if theres any reason you do put the 238-250s in, I would do the full regulated return just for the day you go to use it.

Those are my opinions, your results may vary. BTW my trucks at ~279k. 20k since injectors, turbo, etc. Has no problem grossing more then its supposed to pull.

superpsd

Reaction score
Go for the hybrids and see if Tony can live tune your truck. I would consider upgrading to the Hydra chip if you can. Much easier to try other tuning if you have a tuner that's just not working out you can be emailed tunes vs sending a chip in. Also most waste a stock trans after injectors many I see post they loose the transmission in just a few miles in some cases. They don't hold up very well once you greatly increase the Torque. There have been a few who have run the stroked A codes and hybrids and most of them will vote hybrids.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I went 175/80's and an adrenaline HPOP mainly because I didn't want to do major fuel system mods. My truck ran and towed awesome with a 38r and especially with the basb with that injector choice. If I wanted to do more fuel system modes, I'd went with 238/80's. I've been over 400 hp for 200k miles and am currently at 335k and still running the stock tranny. Just did a valve body and 6.0 cooler. She still shifts like she did at 25k when I did the valve body. There would obviously be advantages to a built tranny, but the stocker will hold up if you don't drive like a fool. And I tow often and don't baby the truck but don't beat it either.

co04cobra

Reaction score
You should include Holders in your injector builder consideration.

160/80s. IMO would fit your needs or a HO 175 AD

501 96 7.3

Reaction score
I have the above mentioned Rosewood 200/30's. I can't complain and think they would fit your needs. I can tow in my hottest tune, from both dyno proven and g head. They are fun and a pretty good match with a 66mm turbo. They aren't oil hungry like I've read the 175/80's are. I also ran them on my stock turbo for a while, no problem.

Last edited:

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
My truck has been through a few mods - 2002 pmr motor
Started with just a 38r swap and I later did the transgo valve body mods- major improvement in shifting with no tune adjustments
Later I went to full force 238/80s and a fuel system and obvious chip reburn. Very fun and steerable set-up
The 38r started leaking oil so I threw the stock charger back on for the time being with no tune change. I can tow anything you mentioned no problem and not worry about egts, at sea level..
The stock turbo definitely neutered truck some and I keep an eye on back pressure but it still runs good, I wish I did the injectors sooner.
Still on the stock trans and converter at 242,000
It's like a whole new truck with fresh injectors!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online