Injectors installed, no start.

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
Injectors installed, no crank, no start.

Could use some help figuring this out. Installed my injectors, and new chip. As far as I know I did everything right, based on all the instructions I could find.

Turn key on, crank, and it gets about 1/4 to 1/2 of a crank and then nothing, lights on dash go out, or get real dim, and nothing. Doesn't do a weak crank or anything, it all just stops.

What did I screw up? It almost acts like a bad battery connection, so I have checked all of that 4 times or more. Checked valve cover harness connectors, checked HPOP reservoir for oil.

Pulled codes and got nothing significant. Code for the chip and EBPV code, because it's gone.

It really seems electrical to me, but the one thing that keeps crossing my mind is, what does a hydrolocked motor act like? I made sure to suck everything I could out of every cylinder, but it just seems like it is trying to crank and something stops it dead. I figured it would just crank and compress until it broke a rod though.

Any ideas you guys have I would appreciate it, was hoping to go see the fiance, and family tomorrow night, but can't get there without a truck.

Last edited:

sniper_101

Reaction score
Load test/charge your batteries, may have drained them when purging the oil/fuel out of the cylinders. Other than that I'd say double check your chip/PCM connections . . . but I'm far from an expert on the subject.

My first start attempt, I forgot to plug the PCM back into the harness lol. Was wondering why everything was acting funny while cranking.

Denver

Reaction score
Crank it with the glow plugs out. Sounds like it's hydro locked but at the same time weak starting power. Perhaps combo of both? It doesn't take much to hydro them.

Tom S

Reaction score
I agree with the two posts above. I would put a battery charger on it and also trying turning the motor over by hand with a breaker bar.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Try without your chip installed.

If its the first time with a chip in the truck, make sure you got all the clearcoat off.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I'm betting the cylinders were not purged of the oil well enough.

Pull glow plugs, crank (with valve covers set on with two bolts), replace glow plugs, and try again.

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
Truck is going now, got it late last night. My batteries decided to die on me for some reason. I had them un hooked the whole time I was working on it, and they are 6mo's old, so I didn't really expect that. I hooked them to a charger and it fired up.

Thanks for the input everyone. It was one of those deals where I was tired of working on the truck, and worried I screwed something up, and jumped right past the easy little things.

Tom S

Reaction score
Try without your chip installed.

If its the first time with a chip in the truck, make sure you got all the clearcoat off.

His issue was with the motor not being able to be turned by the starter.

Latest posts

Members online