injectors, tunes, and turbo?

Powersmoke_sd

Reaction score
Ok i know its on here, i've read a ton and i'm not finding what i want as an answer. My 06 needs injectors and this is my plan:

175/stock injectors (most likely Warren). Thinking about a PM turbo.

IDK who's tunes to run, need help there.

What i'm going for is a really good DD and ability to tow around a 15K trailer maybe once a month.

I have studs and an X4 along with and EGR delete banjos and blue spring.

Will this setup be good or should I be heading in a different direction?

Thanks in advance

03cody

Reaction score
for a turbo, look into barder or kc turbos. Both are good. For tunes, everyones tunes are good it seems like but I know that a lot of people like gearhead and more and more people are starting to like Windrunners tunes.

Powersmoke_sd

Reaction score
I'm thinking about the PM because its used and a good price. With my house remodel wife going back to school and life in general i don't want to spend too much money if i don't have to the wife is already pissed because its a new motor with around 50k miles and it need injectors already

stroke6.0

Reaction score
You couldnt pay me to load a windrunner tune in my truck ever again. Stick with someone who is proven, like gearhead, idp, warren etc..

zshier17

Reaction score
You couldnt pay me to load a windrunner tune in my truck ever again. Stick with someone who is proven, like gearhead, idp, warren etc..

Coming from a guy running 190/100's and a stock turbo lol.

Everyone has different experiences with tunes, and i have heard very good things about WPE's tunes. You just need to try some man. I'd buy 3, 3-tune packages or just 3 tow tunes from different companies and see which one you like. There's someone who has had a bad experience with every tune out there.

Gotta pick a couple and try it out.

Powersmoke_sd

Reaction score
Ok good to know, does GH still run conservative with his tuning? I want a killer tow tune a good street tune and a stupid tune. :doh:

zshier17

Reaction score
Not sure, I only had his non-studded tune so obviously that was conservative. i know there's quite a few guys who have ran his tunes extensively that might chime in. Most of the good tuners have more than one choice for tow tune, street, and race tunes. You can always give them a call or shoot them an email with more details about how you want it to run also.

i will be trying out a WPE race tune here in a few months, but everything i've ever done with them has been great customer service, and extremely helpful.

stroke6.0

Reaction score
Coming from a guy running 190/100's and a stock turbo lol.

Everyone has different experiences with tunes, and i have heard very good things about WPE's tunes. You just need to try some man. I'd buy 3, 3-tune packages or just 3 tow tunes from different companies and see which one you like. There's someone who has had a bad experience with every tune out there.

Gotta pick a couple and try it out.

Yeah, i have those for a few reasons....since it matters to you :shrug:

Your saying you have only heard good things....I have tried them so you have no foot to stand on. Im not one of his little cheerleaders. I dont like them and thats that. After 3 revisions my truck finally started, ICP was terribly high and my truck missed bad. I was clear as day about my injectors and what was done with them it should have been a no brainer to get it to run right, another excuse was it had the wrong startup strategy. He said he couldnt achieve early lockup, etc.....Then dealing with his goon sidekick Jimmy Phillips is just as terrible.

You guys want customer service, go on nates site and find his number to call when you have an issue. If I cant pick up the phone and call someone then they are no good to me. If someone wants to hide behind facebook and forums more power to them, but they dont have my business I dont give a **** how awesome they are.

Like I said, stick with who works and has to most experience. You wont beat gearhead and Innovatives customer service. Trucks are to expensive to let a novice learn on your truck

Last edited:

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Only run Matt's tunes, but I love em thus far. Still waiting on my truck, but when I get it back from getting studs, 175/75s and the pmax I had, I'll be able to give better info.

Personally, I'd go with a barder. I'm gonna do a stg2 eventually.

Having only run Matt's tunes, I can't really compare, but I ran the SRL+(studded) before I did studs, and with the pmax. I was somewhat conservative with my driving…lol but it definitely was aggressive. First time I ran the SRL+ with the pmax(I ran the pmax with the nonstudded srl, then the SRL+ when I finally got the tune revised for the turbo) I broke the tires loose pulling out in traffic, on "accident" and my favorite part, not smokey at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc82

Reaction score
175's and a Powermax would be a good, clean and fun combination... I would venture to say if you are set on a Powermax, get one with a billet wheel, or just get your turbo rebuilt into a S2 so you have room to grow on an injector upgrade in the future.

Powersmoke_sd

Reaction score
IDK if i'll go more injector later on down the road. This is my dd/work horse. My 7.3 is the play toy, although I love the 6.0. My wife and i just looked at 05 the other day because she wants one :doh:, what have i done to myself.

shmoozer

Reaction score
I personally have run both Gearheads tunes and I just loaded Windrunners tunes. Both tunes for me have been rock solid and nearly smoke free.

-KCCO-

bri_grogs

Reaction score
I have a pmax and Warren 155/30s. With a regulated return I hadda upgrade to a fass fuel pump cause fuel pressure would drop below 45psi for me on the stock pump. Figured thats worth mentioning if you weren't planning on upgrading the fuel system. I ran both looney wild and super panty dropper for tunes with similar results

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online