installed the BD CCV mod yesterday

zilla68

Reaction score
I bought this for the 99-03 7.3's knowing it might take a little work to fit on the obs.
It was pretty simple actually, the kit is very nice and came with everything you need. I had to redrill 2 holes on the plate that mounts to the doghouse and trim off the excess. By drilling 2 holes in line with the 2 predrilled holes it moved the mounting plate closer to the doghouse.
The reason I drilled the 2 new holes is to keep the CCV filter from hitting the brake booster.
I then trimmed the excess between the 2 new holes and the original holes.
Then I had to bend it a little in a vise to get it positioned correctly since the 2 newly drilled holes put it at a slight angle.
The CCV filter is adjustable and I didn't realize it until after I had drilled the holes, it might have worked by just turning the filter more towards the front of the truck.
the catch can bolted right to the frame, right where it said it would.
Took me a couple hours, pretty simple, pretty easy.

I got it from strictly diesel.
I'll get a pic of it installed and upload tomorrow.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Does this CCV vent back into the intake?

I'm running a T4 and don't have/don't want it plumbed back into the intake. Could the output hose be vented into the atmosphere? And use the catch can to collect the oil in the vapor coming from the valve cover breather.

Debating on getting this kit or putting a 45* fitting in the exhaust. Getting sick of the oil drip in my driveway coming from the road tube.

Who did you buy the kit from? Also post back if the vapor entering back into the intake is oil free.

Billy T.
[email protected]

zilla68

Reaction score
billy, it filters thru the filter, then the oil goes to the catch can mounted on the frame, then at every oil change you empty the catch can.
it goes from the doghouse that you turn 180 degrees to the filter (that's what I'm calling it for a lack of a better description, its the large black canister) and then plugs right back into the intake where the old doghouse plugged in.

It will be a while before I see any results since I don't drive it much.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This was one of the retrofits that CARB forced on the refuse industry in CA going back 10 years ago. I had many L-10 and M-11 Cummins with the Donaldson version of this system. The only maintenance was filter changes every 500 engine hours. This was the one emissions retrofit that had positive results. No blow by drips or odor, possibly slightly reduced oil consumtion. Never any problems. These systems were mounted high enough to have a drain hose return the separated oil to the oil pan. No drain interval on the catch can. I plan to do one some day.

superpsd

Reaction score
I just have a plastic container with hose in to the bottom and hose out at the top and fed into the intake as I do not like the smell of a road draft tube setup. It has drastically reduced oil in the intake. I will upgrade the plastic container to a glass jar when I come across one big enough.

ghohouston

Reaction score
on my 2002, i just ran a long piece of 3/4 hose from the flipped around dog house, over the brake booster, back down the firewall, down the frame rail, all the way back to my fuel tank. I never had any oil drips from it, and the smell never bothered me, but the more i hear people talk about it, i find out most people are offended by crank case vapors...

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
on my 2002, i just ran a long piece of 3/4 hose from the flipped around dog house, over the brake booster, back down the firewall, down the frame rail, all the way back to my fuel tank. I never had any oil drips from it, and the smell never bothered me, but the more i hear people talk about it, i find out most people are offended by crank case vapors...

I did the same thing on mine never noticed any smell.

Sal_1607

Reaction score
I did the mod on mine and although I don't get any oil drips it sure does let out a good amount of fumes. If I idle in one spot for a while it's like a small cloud of gases.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
I did a quick search for this product because I was curious. I found the price for the kit "I assume" you bought. I really hope you didn't spend $375 on a ccv mod.

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

zilla68

Reaction score
I did a quick search for this product because I was curious. I found the price for the kit "I assume" you bought. I really hope you didn't spend $375 on a ccv mod.

I didn't pay that for it.
but i can see where they would get that, with all preformed hoses, mounting bracket, if it would have been an 99-03 it would have dropped right on in less than probably 5 minutes

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Still not even worth 300. When you can do it for so much cheaper.

Bd makes it.

zilla68

Reaction score
you can do it much cheaper, but I don't think you can buy those hoses or pieces of the kit. I know MJ or someone on here bought the plastic tank for like 100.00.

To some of us, its much easier and cheaper to buy a kit that's done, vs. the time to put one together. Just like efuel, I could have pieced one together, ended up with a bunch of fittings that were wrong, didn't work, or whatever, but I opted for strictly's OBS race set up, which came with everything and was very easy to install, since all the pieces were there and I had to source nothing extra.
i don't have the time or patience to spend hours looking for something to work, much easier to buy it, luckily I got a good deal on it, or at least I felt I did.

there's always a cheaper route, for those that have/make time.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
you can do it much cheaper, but I don't think you can buy those hoses or pieces of the kit. I know MJ or someone on here bought the plastic tank for like 100.00.

To some of us, its much easier and cheaper to buy a kit that's done, vs. the time to put one together. Just like efuel, I could have pieced one together, ended up with a bunch of fittings that were wrong, didn't work, or whatever, but I opted for strictly's OBS race set up, which came with everything and was very easy to install, since all the pieces were there and I had to source nothing extra.
i don't have the time or patience to spend hours looking for something to work, much easier to buy it, luckily I got a good deal on it, or at least I felt I did.

there's always a cheaper route, for those that have/make time.

I purchased just the canister they use. It is manufactured by Mann-Hummel and the model is Provent 200. Cost was around $140 shipped. It is working great so far. Here is how I mounted it.

AF256470-815A-472A-A995-A641BFCC95AD_zpsrwwojnwb.jpg

mandkole

Reaction score
very cool-- I will be checking into that filter. I'm tired of the smell and Id really like to close it up.

Latest posts

Members online