Installing a Airdog 165

Badland

Reaction score
Alright guys I've searched and didn't find anything on this so I thought I would ask a few ?s

Can I eliminate the fuel filter under the cab after installing the Airdog?

I'm going to do the fuel bowl delete on top while I'm installing the lift pump
But idk if the one underneath would still be utilized

I was thinking of putting the SAD fuel bowl delete but I see there is quite a few company's that's make them

What are you running or what would you recommend and why

Thanks Cameron

TXAG07

Reaction score
Yes, the airdog will bypass the stock pump and filter on frame. If you have the appropriate kit, all plumbing for this is included.

The SAD kit is the easiest to install and IMO looks the nicest. The other options seem to be a little tougher to install and are cheaper (mpd, elite).

Most results have shown no benefit to the fuel bowl delete besides no wasting money on filters and cleaning up the engine bay.

Have you already bought the AD. I have one and think in works perfectly but there seems to be a few better options out there now like the fuelab.

NathannialD

Reaction score
Alright guys I've searched and didn't find anything on this so I thought I would ask a few ?s

Can I eliminate the fuel filter under the cab after installing the Airdog?

I'm going to do the fuel bowl delete on top while I'm installing the lift pump
But idk if the one underneath would still be utilized

I was thinking of putting the SAD fuel bowl delete but I see there is quite a few company's that's make them

What are you running or what would you recommend and why

Thanks Cameron

let me know if you need a price or any info on our fuel bowl delete kit.

Badland

Reaction score
Yes, the airdog will bypass the stock pump and filter on frame. If you have the appropriate kit, all plumbing for this is included.

Have you already bought the AD. I have one and think in works perfectly but there seems to be a few better options out there now like the fuelab.

I just ordered it this am

The reason I went with them is it is a complete kit
Fuel lab wants 1k for the pump with fittings or 800 with no hoses or fittings?

I'd rather have a complete kit and not be charged more for stuff that should be included in a kit
Just my .02

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
I just ordered it this am

The reason I went with them is it is a complete kit
Fuel lab wants 1k for the pump with fittings or 800 with no hoses or fittings?

I'd rather have a complete kit and not be charged more for stuff that should be included in a kit
Just my .02

Ive run a 165 on one of my trucks for awhile now with no issues at all. You should be happy with that set up

BBottoms

Reaction score
I have an AirDog 165 that I just had to put a new motor on a couple weeks ago. It had made it ~3yrs and ~30k miles before the motor gave out. I wanted to go to the fuelab set up but couldn't justify the cost when I could replace the AD motor for free (warranty). Makes me a little nervous now and I'll be installing a fuel pressure light for the AD for peace of mind.

For what it's worth, I had left my stock lift pump in place and simply unplugged it and capped off the connections. When the Airdog died I switched my fuel lines over and ran it for a month until I got around to installing the new airdog motor. Fortunately I caught the bad pump in the driveway or it would of left me stranded. However, I could of switched the lines around on the side of the road and the stock pump would of got me home. I'll be leaving my stock lift pump in place for that reason alone since my confidence in the AirDog is shot.

Last edited:

Badland

Reaction score
I have an AirDog 165 that I just had to put a new motor on a couple weeks ago. It had made it ~3yrs and ~30k miles before the motor gave out. I wanted to go to the fuelab set up but couldn't justify the cost when I could replace the AD motor for free (warranty). Makes me a little nervous now and I'll be installing a fuel pressure light for the AD for peace of mind.

For what it's worth, I had left my stock lift pump in place and simply unplugged it and capped off the connections. When the Airdog died I switched my fuel lines over and ran it for a month until I got around to installing the new airdog motor. Fortunately I caught the bad pump in the driveway or it would of left me stranded. However, I could of switched the lines around on the side of the road and the stock pump would of got me home. I'll be leaving my stock lift pump in place for that reason alone since my confidence in the AirDog is shot.

That's a great idea I didn't think of that at all :rockon::rockon:

Do you use your truck as a daily driver?
My truck only goes out on the weekends as Iam away during the week in a company truck

Idk if that will affect it at all but to justify the cost of a fuel lab I can spend that money on some other goodies :rockon:

BBottoms

Reaction score
I DD'd it for a while and racked up about 25k per year. Now I've got a TDI that I drive to work daily and I only put 10k per yr on the truck.

If you plan to keep your stock lift pump you'd be best off to keep the fuel bowl. While it would technically run with the stock pump and no bowl you wouldn't have very good fuel filtration. If you want the redundancy of a stock pump I'd leave the fuel bowl in place. I never understood deleting the fuel bowl with stock style turbos. It doesnt gain anything power-wise and doesn't save all that much room and it's not exactly cheap. I'd look at deleting/relocating the fuel cooler before deleting the bowl if you're really looking to clean up the engine bay. Besides, an extra filter never hurt.

With that said, if I had the Fuelab set up I'd probably delete the fuel bowl, remove the factory cooler and put an inline cooler on the frame.

If you haven't bought the AirDog yet you may look into the FASS Titanium set up. It's about the same price and seems to have a better reputation.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Im curious to se what my temps are this summer towing with no fuel cooler. It was deleted in. A single set up. Along with the fuel bowl. And a ad165 was added. Along with a unregulated return.

Badland

Reaction score
Im curious to se what my temps are this summer towing with no fuel cooler. It was deleted in. A single set up. Along with the fuel bowl. And a ad165 was added. Along with a unregulated return.

This is exactly what I want to do delete the cooler as I do the fuel bowl

Can you pm a few pics of it and how you did the cooler

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
i know tadd's fuel temps were pretty warm around town with no cooler, i would not advise towing without some type of fuel cooler.

so far we have had not had any issues with it and that's towing 15k in mountains. ambient temp has been in the high 80's a few days here and there. but again we shall see it has not gotten scorching hot out either. adding a cooler isn't the end of the world if need be.

Last edited:

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Airdog installs are super easy.... step 1 empty contents of box into garbage.

jtpappy

Reaction score
amu3a9a7.jpg
8ymu4u4y.jpg
Then again you always got this option...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online