Installing injectors. Any pointers?

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
I am gonna try this myself. I am a mechanical type of guy. Got all the tools and ambition just not any experience doing injectors on the 6.0.

I looked for a thread but couldn't find it. I have very good directions but they start at remove the valve covers not open the good and I think there are tricks to getting everything off that needs to expose the valve covers. I alao want to pull the turbo and swap wheels out while I am doing this.

Any videos or write ups that are start to finish?

Thanks in advance!!

ghohouston

Reaction score
Once all your t30 torx bolts are out of your oil rail (s) pop it up with a prybar, to where its completely out of the injectors, and let the oil drain for a minute, also, if your stand pipes and dummy plugs are the old 10mm allen style, update them to the new 12 mm head allens. If you have a small bit driver ratchet, (not sure what their name is) that you can slide a shallow t30 in to, that will make life easier on you for the passenger side bottom back 2 oil rail bolts, they are right between the rail and the heater core box. When youre going back in with the injectors, take an adjustable pair of channel locks and use them to snug the injector plug into the rocker box, you probably wont get it by hand

ncdzl

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Do one or the other first. Don't pull the turbo with the valve covers off...

The drivers side is easy w the ficm and degas bottle out of the way.

Passenger side is tricky. As stated the bottom two oil rail bolts are a bitch but doable.

Make sure you dip your new injectors in clean oil before inserting them. Make sure the injector cups are clean and free of debris and OLD COPPER WASHERS...ask me how I know.

Make sure you torque the injector hold downs properly.

Make sure you don't leave a t30 bit laying under the valve cover. Again...ask me how I know.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Do one or the other first. Don't pull the turbo with the valve covers off...

The drivers side is easy w the ficm and degas bottle out of the way.

Passenger side is tricky. As stated the bottom two oil rail bolts are a bitch but doable.

Make sure you dip your new injectors in clean oil before inserting them. Make sure the injector cups are clean and free of debris and OLD COPPER WASHERS...ask me how I know.

Make sure you torque the injector hold downs properly.

Make sure you don't leave a t30 bit laying under the valve cover. Again...ask me how I know.

you don't need to dip the injectors in oil, simply use Ur finger to lube the orings with fresh oil or vaseline

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
All good points. Injectors will be first. The when the covers are back in, the turbo. Thanks for all the advice. It is finally under a 100 now so I will head out to remove every thing up to taking the valve covers off. That will be done in the day light.

That video is awesome!!!! Thanks!!!!

ghohouston

Reaction score
what's it hurt?

I dont think it would HURT anything, but theres no point. The whole injector does not recieve oil on the outside of the body when its installed in the head, plus you risk getting a bit of trash in your nozzles, being the oil would not be filtered. The only thing needing oil is the orings. If you have a copper washer that slides off you can use a bit of grease to hold it on

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
I have brand new oil they will be coated with. Fresh out the bottle. The copper washers do worry me. If it can happen, it will in my life. Lol

ncdzl

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I dont think it would HURT anything, but theres no point. The whole injector does not recieve oil on the outside of the body when its installed in the head, plus you risk getting a bit of trash in your nozzles, being the oil would not be filtered. The only thing needing oil is the orings. If you have a copper washer that slides off you can use a bit of grease to hold it on

If I'm not badly mistaken....it was an injector builder on here that recommended I do this and have had 100% success on multiple sets with doing that. I did have a couple that got screwy going in when I just oiled the o rings. I've gotta thread about it somewhere on here

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
I got them ogg with a box end. Left some skin on it a few bolts. All but the two rear lower oil rails bolts are out. Came in to watch the vid and see if I missed anything. And I did. The rail to head plug.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Next hurdle.

How do I judge 11ft pounds? My wrench only goes to 25. They are all snugged equally according to my arm tq wrench.

This is taken longer than it should but I am taking breaks and my time doing this right hopefully.

ghohouston

Reaction score
ive literally done hundreds of powerstroke injectors, and never once torqued an injector, not to say thats the right way, but it does work, i just have a good feel by hand for when theyre tight

Binder man

Reaction score
^ what he said. I take a 1/4" ratchet and put tighten them down as good as I can.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Pretty much what I did. The injectors got tourqued to spec. But the oil rail got tightened to what I think is 11. That isn't much anyway.

ncdzl

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Pretty much what I did. The injectors got tourqued to spec. But the oil rail got tightened to what I think is 11. That isn't much anyway.

Yea the rail bolts are 10 or 11...can't remember... but fwiw I have snapped a couple off before

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
The videos were spot on. I just finished up and had a steep learning curve. Could do it faster next time for sure.

Tried to start it and my weak ass batteries won't crank long enough to get the pressures up. Gonna charge it now. It never ends

Last edited:

Latest posts