Instrument Cluster

Charles

Reaction score
Anybody know the deal on the 02 instrument cluster not having a volt meter? For me this is unacceptable. For the past 15+ years, the first place I look when I key on is the volt meter, but like so many other things in this world, those making the decisions decided for me that I didn't need my volt meter anymore on the 02 cluster. Instead I get a completely worthless trans temp gauge I could give not a single damn about if I tried all day.

So....

Seeing as rpm, oil pressure, water temp and volts are the building blocks of instrumentation on a water cooled diesel, I want my G'damn gauge back. Tired of every batt light flicker leaving me wondering if I'm slowly losing charge, whether it's putting out at all.... when do the glow plugs turn off, are they still on, did they even turn on.... just tired of not knowing the vehicle voltage...

I know at least one 02 with a manual trans has a volt meter in the cluster. Do they all? And can the instrument cluster be swapped between auto and manual in an 02 without ill effect?

Lastly, can I reset the digital odometer after the fact to read appropriate milage?

Animosus

Reaction score
You have a hybrid electronic cluster, it does have a volt meter, just not analog. You just have to access the diagnostics mode. Hold the select/reset button and turn the key ON. The gauges should sweep, then you can press the select/reset button until you get to the voltage.

To enter the HEC ( Hybrid Electronic Cluster) Dealer Test Mode, depress and hold the instrument cluster SELECT/RESET button and then turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. Continue pressing the SELECT/RESET button (five seconds) until tESt is displayed in the odometer. The SELECT/RESET button must be released within three seconds of the odometer displaying tESt to begin the dealer test mode. Depress the SELECT/RESET button to advance through the following steps until dtc is displayed. Depressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any continuous DTCs stored before proceeding to the next step.

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I might use that for something at some point, but for the purposes of vehicle voltage, looking at a little orange needle position for about 0.00001 seconds is all the effort/time I intend to provide every time I need information that should be readily available in the first place.

02BigD

Reaction score
Any manual transmission cluster from 02-03 will have your gauge. At least everyone I've every seen was that way.

I was told by that the mileage reading staid with the cluster and there was no way of changing it. But I did no further research into that, because it was a non issue when we simply removed the cover off of the gear indicators on the cluster already in the truck when it was swapped to a 4r.

ja_cain

Reaction score
If you have an android phone you could use the torque app. Doesn't look factory but at least it gives you a reading to a tenth of a volt unlike the dummy gage.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
Instead of having a trans temp gauge on your gauge pod (it's already there in the dash) replace it with a volt gauge.

Charles

Reaction score
Instead of having a trans temp gauge on your gauge pod (it's already there in the dash) replace it with a volt gauge.

I'm not interested in buying a gauge that should come factory. My gauge pod is boost, boost and pyro anyway. Never cared about trans temp, never will... as it's never hot, I keep the converter locked pretty much 100% of the time.

So are the instrument clusters plug and play between manual and auto in an 02? Back in the day the only difference was the little black pop in indicator for the auto, but in the 02 there's a missing gauge, replaced by a worthless pos "gauge".

All my other trucks the volt meter is perfectly accurate. It's not an idiot gauge at all. The slightest variance will cause that needle to move, even flutter...

So does anybody have a manual 02 instrument cluster, and does anyone know how to set the Odometer? Gem flash tool do that?

co04cobra

Reaction score
All 02-03 manual trucks do have the volt gauge. They are plug and play. However, I believe if you want the volt gauge to work you will need to switch to AEB (dpc 461) computer.

It's been about a year or so since swapping that around in an 02 they are a real PITA with the wiring changes they made from 02 up.

If you do swap to a manual PCM you probably will have to wire in an extra ect sensor that it looks for. Which has to be tied into the TFT sensor wire, oddly enough.

ja_cain

Reaction score
What I meant by idiot gage is that there are no marks on it so unless you have a photographic memory you may not notice a .5 or 1 volt drop or maybe you will. I have not watched it while looking at the torque gauge to see how much it moves per 1 volt in variation. I will try to do that in the morning.

TyCorr

Reaction score
What I meant by idiot gage is that there are no marks on it so unless you have a photographic memory you may not notice a .5 or 1 volt drop or maybe you will. I have not watched it while looking at the torque gauge to see how much it moves per 1 volt in variation. I will try to do that in the morning.

Naw, if you loom at the gauge when you need to it'll move. Certain things you do will cause the gauge to fluctuate.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Naw, if you loom at the gauge when you need to it'll move. Certain things you do will cause the gauge to fluctuate.

Glow plugs on usually measures ~ 1 volt drop. Turning it over Will register another volt drop on top of that. Charging it is at about 14.2 depending on acessories being used and ambient temp. I'm sure they calibrate them so normal voltage is about in the middle. Just not sure how linear it is. Should be pretty easy to figure out in the morning.

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
On a 99 - 01 cluster if the needle is above the corner of the little battery rectangle in the middle of the gauge you're good to go. I can also tell minute problems based on how much it moves around the little "post" nearest the needle on that same rectangle. On my 99 the needle moves sharply when the glow plugs turn on or off, fuel pump too for that matter. If I key on and the needle is zipping away off the top of the little battery box, I either have no glow plugs, no fuel pump, or both.

Nevermind watching the needle slowly drop if you lose an alternator. Nice to know whether or not it juuuuuust started dying, and still charging okay, or if it's dropping like a rock and you'd better not pass a single parts store, or shut it down....

Just basic stuff. Truck needs a volt meter....

Anybody got a manual cluster and PCM for an 02? I need the manual PCM for the PCS later anyway. I despise auto PCM's anyway....

This truck downshifted, then upshifted, then downshifted 5 times on a single hill not 1/2 mile long yesterday.... with the CRUISE SET!!!

To say the shift strategy was retarded would be super kind.

Last edited:

02BigD

Reaction score
Anybody got a manual cluster and PCM for an 02? I need the manual PCM for the PCS later anyway. I despise auto PCM's anyway....

Unless a sponsor pipes up, I would suggest giving Carson Stauffer Diesel a call. He seems to be able to find those types of items.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Glow plugs on usually measures ~ 1 volt drop. Turning it over Will register another volt drop on top of that. Charging it is at about 14.2 depending on acessories being used and ambient temp. I'm sure they calibrate them so normal voltage is about in the middle. Just not sure how linear it is. Should be pretty easy to figure out in the morning.

Im aware of how much things use. Ive had the truck since 00, lol.

My fuel pump, glowplugs, and whatever accessories happen to be running drop voltage down about 2 volts. When its cold it can be a little more. Ive never seen mine charge below 14.2 with everything running, even when I had a plow, unless one of the alternators crapped out. Maybe my experience is different as mine has two generators.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Im aware of how much things use. Ive had the truck since 00, lol.

My fuel pump, glowplugs, and whatever accessories happen to be running drop voltage down about 2 volts. When its cold it can be a little more. Ive never seen mine charge below 14.2 with everything running, even when I had a plow, unless one of the alternators crapped out. Maybe my experience is different as mine has two generators.

I was just thinking out loud with regards to my truck, not trying to school you, lol. I have two, alts too and mine pretty much sits at 14.2 also. Like I said, not sure I would feel comfortable with the factory gage for picking up on minute changes in voltage that may or may not be important. Again, not trying to school anyone on anything with regards to these trucks as I am clearly the rookie here.

Arisley

Reaction score
I agree with Charles on thy the volt meter works. Mine dial sits right on top of the top post on the battery pic. If I look at it running down the road and I can see the post above the arrow, I start paying attention to it. At that point, I will click my scan gauge to monitor voltage. If it is low, depending on how low, I will,

1. Drive home and find out why.
2. Pull over and find out why.
3. Drive directly to the nearest parts store and find out why.

The factory gauge is plenty accurate.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Using the neg bat post on the gage as my reference, I'm not really seeing any significant movement gong from reading bat voltage to charging voltage. It's about a 1.8 volt difference. Does the computer automatically compensate for this once the truck is running and the system is charging? Not sure I like that if it does.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online