instrument panel going crazy

97f350stroker

Reaction score
Well yesterday on the way home towing a about 4000 pounds I began to climb a hill and all of the sudden my radio kicked off and the battery light came on. Figured my alternator was taking a crap on me and I was only about 15 mins from home so I continued driving it. Every time I would hit the accelerator the entire cluster would shut down and when I'd let off everything would come back on. The abs light would also intermittently come on and off. Not sure where to go from here, alternator was replaced not too long ago and has a lifetime warranty but don't wanna just throw parts at it.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I would test your battery's and the alternator to rule that out, if those check out it could be a short somewhere or a bad ground

boggerr

Reaction score
Just had the same problem not too long ago, there is a post about it on here. Check the plug on the alt. mine had a broken wire right at the plug.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
20140527_180928.jpg

So I'm guessing this is an issue lol. I'm having a heck of a time getting that sucker unplugged though. Also what do I do to fix that

boggerr

Reaction score
Yup, that's what mine looked like. Just get that new plug from ford and you will be set. Leave the wires a little longer when you cut them from the new plug, you can go around the one hose so it doesn't chaff again.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
The repair kit came with heat shrink. Just got it all buttoned back up and took it for a ride. No more light, no more crazy gauges everything seems normal again. Thanks for the help guys.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.