Insulation in the Cab Questions

wint

Reaction score
Since the recent manual conversion my truck has been so loud while driving around, its hard to carry a conversation while on the interstate and phone calls can only be made at low rpms. So, im looking to insulate the cab. What are some cheap remedies for insulating the cab? I have heard of using window flashing (tar backed foil for home windows and doors) and people claim it works well. Anyone done that? I mostly need to insulate the floor since thats the biggest problem but ill go up the fire wall as far as i can with the dash on and the back of the cab since im already there. I might do something with the doors as well. So whats a good way to go about this? Also what can be used as weather stripping? I think that will help alot as well. Any input, tips or tricks are greatly appreciated! Remember though, this is on a budget!

Tom S

Reaction score
I used a couple of different sound deadner products on mine. I did the floor, doors and the headliners. It was a big job but helped some. I was OK with the econo product on the floor but like the better stuff in the doors where it was hard to do. I do not remember the brands.

JCart

Reaction score
Peel and Seal on the floor then close cell foam carpet underlay. Also do a search on the door seal mod whereby you pull off the door seal and fish foam blocker rod through the seal tubes. Cuts down on road noise significantly.

JD3020

Reaction score
Whats some cheap stuff you can use? Our 12v currently has no exhaust or interior, so its freaking LOUD. Wanna throw some stuff in the doors, floor, and roof but since its a work truck its gotta be on the cheap side.

wint

Reaction score
How much of the second skin stuff would I need? Is the stuff im talking about worth giving a shot? Was thinking I might double layer it.

Reaction score
How's your shifter boot? If the inner boot is ripped/torn, you'll get a lot of noise (The factory boot has an inner white-colored boot and the normal black exterior boot). Also make sure the boot is sitting flush to the floor. Cheers!

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
How's your shifter boot? If the inner boot is ripped/torn, you'll get a lot of noise (The factory boot has an inner white-colored boot and the normal black exterior boot). Also make sure the boot is sitting flush to the floor. Cheers!

:whs: If the boat is not tight to the floor it will be loud!!! Another thing When you did the tranny did you some how get the down pipe against it and against the fire wall???

wint

Reaction score
I looked the boot over well before I installed it, i thought it was good but I can recheck it. But all i remember it having was just the black boot?? Guess ill have to double check it. Ill still lay down insulation anyways. Itll help keep the cab warmer :)

dave186

Reaction score
yeah you need the inner boot for sure. I like Fatmat Rattletrap, put lots of it in my truck. the regular fatmat isnt near as good.

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
The inner boot is white. It's part of the black one, they go on together. My truck's was damaged - I was shocked at how much quieter it is now.

Latest posts

Members online