Intercooler ?

fordguy2

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Im new to this forum and just had a real quick question. I just bought a 2003 7.3 and I think im truly in love. :naughty: The guy I bought it off of threw in some extras with the truck and one of them was a 6.0 intercooler. I was wondering how much of a difference I would see in the EGT's and if it is worth putting in or if I should just wait and save some money to get an aftermarket one. The truck does have aftermarket exhaust, turbo, air intake, dp tuner chip, so I just wasnt sure if this would help out a whole lot with the Temp. Thanks everyone and look forward to a response.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
It will help some probably in the neighborhood of 50 degrees. And with your mods I would not spend the money on an aftermarket intercooler. it shouldn't get too hot anyway and even a big spearco will only drop it probably 100 degrees. Welcome to the site man.

fordguy2

Reaction score
I dont have the money right now but would there be any difference by me putting in the 6,0 intercooler?

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
I dont have the money right now but would there be any difference by me putting in the 6,0 intercooler?

Yeah, you can spend money buying different boots & spending an afternoon swapping out one plastic tank intercooler for another plastic tank intercooler. Better off just selling the 6.0L cooler.

fordguy2

Reaction score
Alright. Thanks. I got one more kick question. I have a 38r turbo and was wondering how high was to high for the EGT? It has gotten up to 1200 degrees but that is only when I get on it hard

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Should be able to hold it there for a while... quick rule of thumb is 1500* for 15 seconds... most if the pulling trucks u see get well above that... even a bone stock powerstroke will see 1300* quite often if towing heavy..

fordguy2

Reaction score
Alright. I appreciate all the help. I just dont want anything going wrong since it is my first diesel. Thanks again!

ditch_dawg

Reaction score
Thanks Gare!!

Got my eye on a Red/Blk short bus 6.4. Should know more Monday.

I'll always lurk around the 7.3 pages. Don't hold a candle to most of the folks in here, but I will try to help when I can.

Latest posts

Members online