intercoolers what are good ones?

smokedout250

Reaction score
Okay guys I have an sd intercooler but this isn't for me. My dad has an obs he's pulling a 30ft 5th wheel he wants to cool the egts down a bit so its time for an ic he's running an edge ez and has an sb intake, dp is 3inch with straight pipe.... so what's a good ic for the money? One day this truck will be mine so I don't wanna cut a bunch on it what's just a good bolt on kit would be great!

JDub

Reaction score
We've been using the Hypermax systems since clear back in 2001. They fit nice, funciton really well, and look near factory once installed. Had great success with them and many pleased customers. They mount directly behind the grille and have a decent sized core, so they are pretty efficient and dropping charge temp and EGT's. Plus, if you ever plan on upgrading turbochargers, the H2E kits will be a direct bolt-in system to work in conjunction with this cooler. We have them in stock and ready to ship if you're interested, let me know how we can help.

http://wideopenperformance.net/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=296_288_287_290&products_id=878

mortal798

Reaction score
I heard from many people on here and psn that there are better things to do with your money than throw it at an intercooler...

I still use my stock one for now. What EGT's are you seeing during towing?

JDub

Reaction score
I heard from many people on here and psn that there are better things to do with your money than throw it at an intercooler...

I still use my stock one for now. What EGT's are you seeing during towing?

1994-1997 trucks did not come equipped with an intercooler at all, so installing one is one of the best ways to spend your hard-earned cash, especially if you do much towing.

smokedout250

Reaction score
Well its not my truck first off he's seeing 1200 pulling a decent hill... and I don't belive that its a waste remember its an obs it doesn't have one....

Jdub- how do they compare to the banks kits?

JDub

Reaction score
Jdub- how do they compare to the banks kits?

I think they look a little more 'factory', if that means anything. But Banks make a quality kit, no questions about that. We've installed both systems, and I don't think you can go wrong with either really. We've got both systems available, Hypermax is going to be a a little cheaper.

JDub

Reaction score
Ok I will pass the info on to my dad I like the idea of being able to switch to the h2e when its mone I will prolly be running 2s or 238s

The Banks system will require you to modify the pipes yourself to make them work with an H2E style turbocharger. If you go with the Hypermax intercooler, when it comes time to upgrade the turbo, we can supply it with the needed I/C pipes to be a direct bolt-in kit, no need to fabricate anything.

PsRumors

Reaction score
I am very pleased with the banks kit and was able to get it for $1100 from a vendor. Install was not difficult and once completed it looks "right".

Tom S

Reaction score
I would lean more towards Hypermax it I was also doing an H2E. I have Banks I like it alot. I have mine modded to work with the 38R

Tom S

Reaction score
I do not think there is enough difference to be real worried about. I think the thing the kits offer is pipes as the pipe fabrication is outside the realm of most users. Maybe for a high HP truck there are worthwhile differences but on stock to mid level my guess is that there is just not that much there. There also might be more difference on the larger coolers like the tapercore.

DieselFreak92

Reaction score
On PSN I remember reading that if you were going to keep the stock turbo then a 7.3 SD intercooler was best but if you were going to get a bigger turbo then a 6.0 intercooler was best.

smokedout250

Reaction score
The idea is bolt on parts my dad doesn't have the tools needed to do an install like that.... he just wants somethinng good but he has a hard time spending the cash cuz they are so spendy that's why he wants to know what of the 3 that are worth the money

Dirt_99

Reaction score
SD IC into a OBS will run you about 5-600 DIY. E99 intake, IC tubes plus the IC, boots and what not. Figure 100-200 for IC, 200 for IC tubes, 150 for e99 spyder, plus boots, clamps and misc stuff. And that price is if you do not get any free stuff.

Last edited:

smokedout250

Reaction score
well its a lot of fab work and time.... my dad has cancer and can't handle a lot of work any more he's 51 and was forced to retire... that's why we are looking for a bolt on kit I did my sd cooler for 150 bucks lol but he wants a different setup doesn't wanna cut holes in the truck its his baby

Tom S

Reaction score
The only kit I know of that does not require any holes in the core support is the OLD ATS intercooler that routed through the fender liner. Once in a while I see one for sale. They used a smaller diameter tube but were fine on a mild truck. The cooler mostly mounted behind the bumper like a lot of intercooled cards do.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.