Interesting 6.4L Noise, ideas?

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Hey PSA!

A good friend of mine is trying to figure out exactly who is right and what needs to be done to his truck as he has been told numerous things from different parties and doesn't really want the dealer pulling the cab off unless we can help assure him that it needs to be done as they will not guarantee the job will fix the sound.

'08 6.4, he is going to come and post some of his exact parameters while he was driving and can provide more detailed "driving" experience, if anyone wants to know specifics please post and we will get them posted. If I remember right this was starting uphill with his car trailer in tow.

Any ideas/insight is greatly appreciated PSA! Many thanks ahead of time!

Blair's 6.4 Noise - YouTube

Cr500

Reaction score
Exhaust leak leading into turbine. Could be a manifold leak, or an exhaust up pipe bellow.
Go under truck with a light an look closely at manifolds where they attach to block. Look for soot somewhere. On inlet bellows same deal look for soot around them. If it still has the egr up pipe mess look at it too. Start and put your hand around it.
It is defiantly sounding like a leak between exhaust port and turbine inlet.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Id say compressor wheel to VGT contact. Seen it a few times.

Blair Robertshaw

Reaction score
my truck in the video

Hi PSA members,

thanks for all your input so far. I will give you some baseline information when this happens;

towing a 28' 2 car race trailer. towing weight of trailer is 11,000 lbs. all in. the sound is only intermittent, seems to happen anywhere from 2.5 to 4.0 hours into the tow, only happens (when it does) on hills. once it starts on the tow it keeps coming back on hills only. exhaust gas temp is always around 195 to 200 degrees C with this truck when towing. the temps are within normal operating temp history with this truck. i use a racers edge fuel map device on the truck. set on fuel map 2 (this truck has never had the setting on anything other than towing or fuel economy settings)

1. the sound is NOT constant. it seems to take a while before it shows up
2. if it is the bellows, why does the sound not start from the onset of the tow? A hole is a hole, I know things will expand and open up with heat but if that is the case why doesn't the sound show up after the entire exhaust system has come into normal operating temp range?
3. a young ford mechanic (dealer guy) tells me its the down exhaust pipe that connects to the back side of the turbo. he says its a pipe that is designed to expand and contract with heat and that the temp the engine puts out is much greater towing uphill and as a result it expands this pipe and then exposes a pin hole. if that's the case, the temp increase would be displayed on the racers edge display gauge and like I said, the temp seems to always be in the same operating range. says it $200 for the pipe and $1600 in labor and they wont guarantee that the fix they propose will fix the issue.
4. another has suggested that given it only happens on hill's that it may be the fan clutch bearing!
5.will this ever prevent me from making it to my towing destination? or is it just a big pain in the ass sound that I tolerate. It never does it when not towing.

so before I either sell the truck or spend more $ on trying to fix it I thought, actually my buddy Jay thought we should talk to you lads here on PSA.

And while were at it, if the body has to come off to fix this problem, is there anything else we should take off the truck exhaust engine config? the truck tows well, still sucks fuel even after the racers edge fuel map device installed. I have even been thinking about a RAM 3500 but there is just something keeping me from buying one! we tow about 25,000K a year and I cant run the slightest risk of having a failure in the middle of Potato Field Idaho on the way to a race. (no offense to residents in Potato Field Idaho)

thanks in advance guys, appreciate your input and experience with the F350 6.4

Last edited:

BFT

Reaction score
Regardless if its a pin hole you should be able to see some sort of leak (soot). I would check the boots and clamps for any splits. Also check the "U" pipe that goes from turbo to turbo.

From the sound of the truck I assume you are still running the emissions equipment? I don't know how critical it is for you or if you have to weigh in, but I would ditch all the emissions and get a descent tuner for your truck.

Reaction score
Check your manifolds. I had a truck come in a few weeks ago and it was missing 2 manifold bolts and at first I was thinking turbo by the sounds of it. Was hard to narrow it down till I had a second hand and had my buddy give it some throttle and I staryed feeling around for leaks and found it at the exhaust manifold.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Yup, on this truck the turbo split, I didn't get to see the damage, fix or the end result, the owner was laughing it off then traded the truck in after a bunch of new lights came up that he didn't have time to deal with. Essentially he said the one of the pieces between the two turbos had come apart, under high boost it was actually pushing them apart and then you got the whistle of the air leaking past. What piece exactly, sorry no sure I really did want to look at it but its long gone now.

Latest posts

Members online