Intermittent vibration at high speed

young7.3

Reaction score
While driving down the interstate, stree after hitting a large bump, the entire truck started to vibrate exactly like it would if you were driving on the sleep strips that are on the side of interstates. I stopped on the side of the interstate checked it out, didn't see anything, so started driving again and it went away until I hit another large bump. I had removed the left wheel bearing a few weeks ago due to a different issue so I know my front left drive shaft isn't rotating. I removed the right one tonight to eliminate the right drive shaft too. I checked all the u joints and breaks and didn't see anything unusual or loose. Any ideas to what this could be?

mustube

Reaction score
Check your track bar, all steering, and leaf spring bolts. Sounds like death wobble and it could be a few things but its either a loose bolt or worn out part.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
Guys.. I don't think he has death wobble.. Sounds to me like he has a worn out driveshaft yoke and the shaft is flopping around... essentially throwing itself out of balance

Reaction score
Guys.. I don't think he has death wobble.. Sounds to me like he has a worn out driveshaft yoke and the shaft is flopping around... essentially throwing itself out of balance

There is definitely a lot of things it could be. I said death wobble because it only happens after hitting a bump, which is usually a sign of it. Either way, I hate trying to figure out vibration issues

young7.3

Reaction score
Well it wasn't the front right wheel bearing. I have a two piece drive shaft and the carrier being that supports then in the middle has about 1/4" - 3/8" of total movement. I guess I'm going to try that next. Any ideas?

TARM

Reaction score
Also get the front end up and pull and yank on all the various steering and suspension parts see what moves that should not. Do not forget the wheels as well maybe your ball joints are going. I know at times when you have many parts getting high mileage when one thing goes a bit too far its a combo of all the wear and that final one that causes these things.

young7.3

Reaction score
Tarm- I have replaced my ball joints recently, so I don't think they are the cause.

Okay, so I attached my GoPro to the underside of the truck pointed at the carrier bearing, did several tests both while the vibration isn't there and while it is. There isn't a noticeable visible difference of either video so I am ruling out the carrier bearing.

Here are all the symptoms the truck has...

-Vibrations feels exactly like driving on a sleep strip on the interstate
-Intermittent vibration starts at speeds of 30-70mph
-The frequency of the vibration is similar to the rpm speed of a shaft than a tire. So I don't think it's tire related.
-Intermittent vibration stops at speeds around 15mph or less
-Vibration is more noticeable on the right side of the truck (right mirror vibrates more than left)

Parts I have replaced...
-Front left wheel hub bearing assembly
-Front right wheel hub bearing assembly
-Ruled out the carrier bearing with side-by-side video of vibrating and not

One thing I noticed while under the truck...My connection point between the rear drive shaft and slip yoke going into the axle is leaking fluid a descent amount. There is fluid on my exhaust where is is getting slung around by the joint. I'm sure my seal there is bad, but could the bearing inside there be possibly making this vibration?

I'm trying to figure this out as soon as possible as this is my daily driver.
Thanks for any input guys.

Jomax

Reaction score
Do you have a buddy with a truck where you can swap tires/rims?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
I had this same problem on my truck and it was related to outside uneven wear on the passenger side front tire (cupping). I rotated that tire to the back drivers side and the vibration went away. Glad I did because I was just about to replace the drivers side unit bearing and thought I should try this first after noticing that the tire was wearing so quickly. Make sure you rotate and balance your tires regularly and keep it aligned.

young7.3

Reaction score
I had this same problem on my truck and it was related to outside uneven wear on the passenger side front tire (cupping). I rotated that tire to the back drivers side and the vibration went away. Glad I did because I was just about to replace the drivers side unit bearing and thought I should try this first after noticing that the tire was wearing so quickly. Make sure you rotate and balance your tires regularly and keep it aligned.
The vibration you felt was similar to the sleep strip rumble on the interstate?

ja_cain

Reaction score
It was a little bit higher in frequency and it had an ebb and flow to it. I also suspected a broken belt but will not road force balance them as they are garbage tires to begin with. Not to mention they are d rated tires which would explain why they have not held up in this truck. They were on the truck when I bought it. Just going to run them for a few more months then buy new nicer tires.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Not necessarily. My tire was clearly out of balance and not very round. Vibration can present themselves in many different manners. It's almost like it would reach a critical point and the energy would dissipate until more of the tire was contacting the road then start all over again hence the ebb and flow.

young7.3

Reaction score
Turned out to be my front drive shafts rotating inside the wheel bearing housings. Because my hubs weren't on the truck, the drive shafts weren't parallel to the axle housing and were vibrating inside. It's hard to explain but the problem is fixed now. Thanks everyone for the help.

Latest posts

Members online