internet diagnosis on truck I'm looking at

jngreen

Reaction score
This is a description from an ad on craigslist, just wondering what the experts think could be the problem. I'm guessing injectors, but what are some other possible causes.

drives good down the road for being a big truck, the engine does have issue, I was told its either an injector or two bad, or turbo going bad. I'm sure any PowerStroke guy will know. The idle is not smooth, it smokes bluish white, and doesn't seem to be at full power, but it does drive at road speeds fine

Link to ad here.... http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ctd/3285860186.html

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Way too much money for a truck with issues.

Does sound like an injector issue. But with the gauges in there, it could be a low compression issue.

jngreen

Reaction score
I agree on the price, but its been listed at that price for a long time and would possibly take less. Rust free trucks are also very hard to find in this area. I have a set of injectors in the garage that I could throw in it.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Keep in mind its more then likely PMR's...

If you go and look at it can you scan it with AE?

jngreen

Reaction score
Keep in mind its more then likely PMR's...

If you go and look at it can you scan it with AE?

I don't really care if it has PMRs, not looking for horsepower. I don't have access to an AE.

I don't have my heart set on the truck, it definately has issues. I'm currently not a fan of lifted trucks and 16.5 rims, but I have stock springs, blocks, and wheels and could sell the other stuff. I started a WTB thread, but it so far has 20 something views.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Sounds like injectors to me. I agree the price is a little high. With 100,000 miles less that would be a reasonable price IMO, but I would offer around $6500-7000.

I got my 01 with 230,000 for $4100 LOL

jngreen

Reaction score
Well, I sold my 2000 with 80,000 miles for almost $20,000, so I guess its how you look at it.

TARM

Reaction score
Way to much money for a truck with a unknown issue that could very easily be a bad cylinder or two. I would offer him 8K IF and ONLY IF he lets you do a cylinder compression test on it. It could very easily be forged rod or PMR 50/50 shot. Check the engine serial number. Then if you do a cyl comp test pull the inspection plug and see what is in there for rods. I have a 01 Excursion with a engine built is mid 2000.

Latest posts

Members online