IPR leaking or is it something else?

young7.3

Reaction score
So I've been trying to track down a massive oil leak for a while now. I replaced to o-rings on the IPR but the truck is still leaking oil. I took my gopro and used it to video up under the oil pump, and the oil is running from the base of the ipr to the end of it then dripping off. So my question is, what else could be causing this leak? Can the IPR leak any other way than from the o-rings? I will try to upload the video I have but in the meantime, any guesses are welcome.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I worked on a cat 3126 heui about a year ago, it kept leaking oil right at the ipr. Replaced o rings, even though the originals looked fine. Still leaked. Pulled it back out, and than damn ipr was cracked. That was the only time I've ever seen it happen. But honestly, if you replaced o rings, I'd look at all the hpop plugs, see if they're tight. If so, you may need to pull the hpop and re seal the "non servicable" plug. I'd power wash the motor well, get a mirror and flashlight and look under the hpop and see EXACTLY where that leak is coming from.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is the cover leaking? It could be running down and dripping off the back of the pump or ipr. I'm talking about the hpo reservoir lid.

young7.3

Reaction score
I dont think the cover is leaking but I wil double check tomorrow. The video is uploading but my "snail speed" internet is making it very difficult.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
There is a plug above the ipr that I had leak on me twice! Just a thought.

Get some good brake cleaner and hose it down then blow all the fluid off with a air gun then repeat till its clean as it can be.

Let truck idle for a few minutes while looking under the hpop and see if you can find it.. if not then burp the throttle a time or two. If that dont work then take it for a drive for a mile or so and recheck..

live life full throttle

young7.3

Reaction score
Couldnt get the video to load but hear are two snapshots of it.
Oilleak.png

oilleak2.png

young7.3

Reaction score
It's not the hpo reservoir cover. So I think I'm going to order a new ipr. Maybe there's something wrong with it causing it to leak some other way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online