Irate OBS Bellowed up pipes

kampy

Reaction score
I was tired of the factory donuts leaking after ~10 thousand miles every time I replaced them and I just couldn't get my head wrapped around paying IH $800+ for a set so I asked Jake if he would be willing to add bellows to a set of factory pipes. He said he had actually done a few sets and could whip me a set up with no problem. He explained that it would come welded as one piece like his T4 mounts instead of a bolt together deal like the IH set up.

Jake had them in the mail the next day so it only took 3 days to receive them. I put them on the day after I got them. The install was an enormous pain, not so much because of the pipes but I think I have one of the trucks where the cab is just positioned closer to the engine, lots of jacking around with the cab and engine to get them in there but I was by myself, I'm sure an extra set of hands would have helped tremendously. Would have been the exact same fight to go to a regular T4 set up so I know what I'm up against if I ever decide to make the switch.

The down pipe has to come out but mine wouldn't come apart so it had to be removed as 1 piece and separated to be put back in, looking back it would have probably been easier to just replace the DP instead of fighting with it but oh well.

The fit of the pipes themselves was perfect, no alignment problems at all.

Results - I did this six weeks ago and couldn't be happier, the part throttle transient response is much better, much smoother. The boost is smooth and linear in the mid range where it wasn't before, it used to act like the boost hit a wall at about 5 psi until you gave it a bunch of throttle. Bottom line is the truck is just a whole lot more driveable and the power is more predictable and linear, it made the truck easier and much more enjoyable to drive in traffic.

It also cut my EGT about 50* at highway speeds across the board unloaded.

Just put this out there for anyone that would like to cure their drive leaks once and for all and just cant swallow 8 bills for the IH setup.

Attachments

• OBS bellowed up pipes.jpg
    OBS bellowed up pipes.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

JD3020

Reaction score
How much did they run ya? I've got everything here to replace my horribly leaking up-pipes with another set of stockers(in good shape), but really want bellowed.

kampy

Reaction score
$300, he will have them powdercoated for a little more but I chose not to, corrosion isn't a big problem in the desert southwest, plus I think most of the coating would have come off after my fight to get everything in place.

Forgot this in the initial post, its a core kind of a deal, you need to send your old ones back so he can build them for the next truck

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Sweet! Thanks for sharing! I did not know he did this. Would removing the transmission be easier?

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
In hindsight I'm thinking it would be much easier if you had what you needed to pull the trans.

Yeah I figured so. Only because as you say they only come as one unit. Plus I can have a zf-5 out in 45 minutes.

Latest posts