Is a GTX worth the extra coin?

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
YES SIR you did tell me the turbo lit like a 38r

Good to see you like that housing, i sure as hell wasnt happy with it with my setup. Yes its going to have a real deep growl. With my ported heads and headers it sounded ****inbadass

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Well I've been driving it around a little while longer! I'm liking it more and more the longer I drive it. The only issue I have right now is the alternator just started squealing when I started it up! Lol! I'll go get one of those and I'll be all set!

photobucket-2815-1311358221814.jpg

photobucket-3984-1311358555470.jpg

photobucket-5006-1311358619433.jpg

Here's a video. Hopefully the link works. If not let me know.
th_2011-07-22_13-02-40_969.jpg

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Oh my! I just did some more funning around! :D I'm tellin ya man. The more I drive this thing, the more I love it! It hits like a freaking hammer! I am definitely getting more air! It lights quick but you can really tell when it hits full song. Not by noise, but by the power. The only thing I don't like is how much smoke I'm getting. I had smoke before, but only at the track. I've never floored it before on the street till now. Time for a new reburn! It'll be my first retune since Cale origionally loaded them. I'm excited though!

Final decision- For picky and performance oriented, this turbo is definitely worth the extra coin. For someone who wants this level of power, but doesn't really care to have the best you can get, it's probably not worth it. You can do everything with the JB turbo that you can with this and would never know you were lacking in anything. You can definitely tell a difference in performance though. I'm happy I got it. No regrets. However, if I didn't have the money and wasn't offered the screaming deal on it that I got, I would have been content and very happy with my old one...... Provided it wasn't shot like it was. LOL Now, for a person with the extra money that wants all this setup can offer, then this is definitely worth it.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
I think you need to wait till you get the tuning actually dialed in. The less fuel down low the faster it lites and more fuel as you have it now the opposite.

but as with most things you pay more for that last 10% than the first 90. LOL

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I have no expectations of this thing lighting any faster than it does now. Its pretty insane the way it is now! LOL I hear ya though on that last 10% thing. This turbo is exactly that.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Here's some vids of doing a burnout at about 30-40 mph.
th_2011-07-22_16-02-03_841.jpg

th_2011-07-22_14-32-30_441.jpg

It gets to 40psi faster than before even though it has a bigger housing, but better than that, once it gets there its way stronger than before!

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
You are just killing people posting videos you know that right !?! LOL

Since I figure those tires are likely just about done when you get ready to put the new ones on or if you can throw an old pair on why not do some big burnout smoke vids Throw some water down or bleach mix and let her rip Just be sure to have some oil or that static stick sheeting around the wheel wells so you are not spending a few hours working the metals rubber off the paint. LOL

Whytry

Reaction score
You are just killing people posting videos you know that right !?! LOL

Since I figure those tires are likely just about done when you get ready to put the new ones on or if you can throw an old pair on why not do some big burnout smoke vids Throw some water down or bleach mix and let her rip Just be sure to have some oil or that static stick sheeting around the wheel wells so you are not spending a few hours working the metals rubber off the paint. LOL

LOLLOL:whs:

TARM

Reaction score
After having the gtx for a bit now i can say it is everything I could have ever wanted. It is byr one of the quietest turbos I have heard. No whin or noise at all. When it opens up all you hear is sucking air lol. As far as spool up goes 38r/stock fast. I havea hpop issue right now icp or ipr so I have not pushed it too hard but between this and Nates fully modded 200% injectors I think its the perfect top end street combo where you have almost no negatives but maximum benefits.

AzPsd55

Reaction score
I can't wait to see the vid, I just purchased a gtx4294 my self with 250 200's I can't wait to drop it all in

AzPsd55

Reaction score
Oops idk why i said that, but how is it daily driving with the 250's, is spoolup good? well mine just came in yesterday just waiting on mount and a few other bits and pieces. And what did you shim your valve springs to, did you measure or just through say .30 in and call it good.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
It is an awesome daily driver setup!! You'll really like it! Spoolup is like a stock turbo with a 1.0 housing. 0-5psi is kinda slow but 5-45psi is so quick its hard to see!! Lol!

Valve springs got .030 shims but you should always measure it.

AzPsd55

Reaction score
Ok thx for the info, more than likely i'll have more questions because im getting into my build within the next few weeks.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Looks like you have the exact setup I do. Only difference is I have Cale doing the tuning. If you need any help feel free to holler at me! I'll even jump on the phone with ya.

AzPsd55

Reaction score
Ok cool, one question did you have any idle problems with your srp1, when my motor warms up it gets shakey after the srp1. I didn't put a new ipr in, and I got a reburn on tunes. I'm hoping its just my ipr.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
No I don't. I do know someone who has a problem starting when their truck warms up though. Not 100% its the srp-1 yet though. My guess would be tuning but I guess its prejudice though.

Latest posts

Members online