Is it just me or ......

Steamfighter

Reaction score
Do the head lights on the 2011-2012 trucks suck!!!!!! My truck looks like two broken flashlights next to the wife's car. Any line on any decent upgrades yet?

mrplowjr_Ez_v

Reaction score
I threw some silver star ultra bulbs and it seemed to pep them up a bit. especially the brights. its like someone turned on the daylight switch.

What does suck however is the process involved in changing the bulbs. Sure miss being able to just reach in and do a bulb swap.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
I threw some silver star ultra bulbs and it seemed to pep them up a bit. especially the brights. its like someone turned on the daylight switch.

What does suck however is the process involved in changing the bulbs. Sure miss being able to just reach in and do a bulb swap.

whats the process now?

mrplowjr_Ez_v

Reaction score
fairly straight forward once you do it once but here goes:

1. remove 4 or 6 10mm bolts at the top of the grille
  2. lean grille forward enough to reach down to the bottom you will see some slots with metal tabs in them insert a flat head screwdriver to release them. do so carefully as to not break them, your knuckles or the grille. I had a hell of a time finding the clips as they were refered to in the manual. the manual says to insert a screwdriver in the access slats at the bottom of the grille, this was impossible its much easer to reach in from the top.
  3. remove grille and set aside.
  4. remove 4 10 mm bolts holding in the headlight assembly 1 at the top 2 on the sides and one at the bottom between the bumper and headlight assy. (kind of a bitch to get to)
  5. twist CCW the bulb assembly to remove. (Reverse to install new)
  6. test the new bulb before putting all that **** back together.
  7. reassemble in reverse order and for the love of god don't over-tighten the bolts/screws they are an aggressive thread into a plastic insert. (I may/maynot have one that is stripped) also take note of the old bolt impressions in the plastic so everything lines up right.

Last edited:

mrplowjr_Ez_v

Reaction score
I had them in my old truck for about 8 years and 100k never had one crap the bed on me which was a concern with them back in the day. they were in so long I forgot I had them until I got the new truck. installing them put me right back to the same good old brightness of the old truck. (2000my)

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
fairly straight forward once you do it once but here goes:

1. remove 4 or 6 10mm bolts at the top of the grille
  2. lean grille forward enough to reach down to the bottom you will see some slots with metal tabs in them insert a flat head screwdriver to release them. do so carefully as to not break them, your knuckles or the grille. I had a hell of a time finding the clips as they were refered to in the manual. the manual says to insert a screwdriver in the access slats at the bottom of the grille, this was impossible its much easer to reach in from the top.
  3. remove grille and set aside.
  4. remove 4 10 mm bolts holding in the headlight assembly 1 at the top 2 on the sides and one at the bottom between the bumper and headlight assy. (kind of a bitch to get to)
  5. twist CCW the bulb assembly to remove. (Reverse to install new)
  6. test the new bulb before putting all that **** back together.
  7. reassemble in reverse order and for the love of god don't over-tighten the bolts/screws they are an aggressive thread into a plastic insert. (I may/maynot have one that is stripped) also take note of the old bolt impressions in the plastic so everything lines up right.

I was attempting to take on this project myself when my old man pulled up and asked my why I was "going around my elbow to get to my thumb?" lmao
Anyway he suggested I go under each front fender, pull back the plastic wheel well lining and the bulb should be right there.

Sure enough two small screws on each side for the lining and the bulb is right there. Whole job took 15 min.

wasgas

Reaction score
Are the lights adjustable, mine do not seem to have any adjustment screws? My buddy's tundra has a botton inside to adjust the lights when hauling a nice feature on a truck.

Spatel23

Reaction score
I was attempting to take on this project myself when my old man pulled up and asked my why I was "going around my elbow to get to my thumb?" lmao
Anyway he suggested I go under each front fender, pull back the plastic wheel well lining and the bulb should be right there.

Sure enough two small screws on each side for the lining and the bulb is right there. Whole job took 15 min.

very good to know....thanks

Latest posts