is it legal

rsater1

Reaction score
is it legal to have exaust pipe exit threw the hood on street just wondering how to set up compound s under hood thanks in advance I live in fl

cbf9703

Reaction score
From FL statutes:
Exhaust systems, prevention of noise.—(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation, including muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise. In no event shall an exhaust system allow noise at a level which exceeds a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.061(11) in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.
(2) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.
(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Also: (for modifying exhaust in FL)
(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.
(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.

So, no, not strictly legal unless you manage to fit "muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise" in your hood stack. LOL Can't say how the LEOs are there, but I've been pulled over in a hood stacked truck just driving for testing purposes in my state. :shrug:

mustube

Reaction score
You have to read the law more carefully than that. A turbo does not count as a muffler in most cases.

TARM

Reaction score
It varies from state to state in terms of laws. Further you can not just go by the passenger light truck laws as many 250 up have gvw that put different laws in effect. No saying it's legal just that you have to look deeper and broader at the laws

cbf9703

Reaction score
Turbo is considered sounds muffling device, so dont have to run a muffler to pass.

I don't run a muffler on my truck, but it's technically not legal based on this statute. I wouldn't ever expect to get hassled about it, but it's still written that way. Just like I don't expect to get hassled about the cat I cut off one of my diesel trucks. It's against emissions since it came from the factory that way, but they've never said a word.

Now if we're still talking hood stack, did you read the second part? I've yet to hear a hood stack that is as quiet as the stock configuration:

"(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.
(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified."

TyCorr

Reaction score
That leaves a lot open to debate. Make a hoid stack from tailpipe and it should be legal.

I think you could get away wuth it here as long as it wasnt oraling deh coalz

TyCorr

Reaction score
Who wants a hoodstack after reading this? LOL

12v sounds good right about now.

n54power

Reaction score
Check your states VC. It will spell it out for you. Having pulled over a couple vehicles for some seriously dangerous mods (Capri on 24" with spacer)I'd have to say no,not legal
Look at it like this,you could produce enough smoke to block your vision which could result in a accident.

n54power

Reaction score
I don't run a muffler on my truck, but it's technically not legal based on this statute. I wouldn't ever expect to get hassled about it, but it's still written that way. Just like I don't expect to get hassled about the cat I cut off one of my diesel trucks. It's against emissions since it came from the factory that way, but they've never said a word.

Now if we're still talking hood stack, did you read the second part? I've yet to hear a hood stack that is as quiet as the stock configuration:

"(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.
(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified."

You can't modify your exhaust with the sole intent to produce a louder sound. It is how ever legal to replace your exhaust in the event of damage,theft or it simply wearing out.
It's kind of a loop hole,but it works

n54power

Reaction score
Depends on how bad a day the cop is havin.

Very true. Like I tell my friends , be polite either answer yes or no sir have a good day sir and then do research for the ticket after the fact. getting in an argument with the law enforcement during your ticket is never a good thing

Latest posts

Members online